SOAP and XMLRPC

dcrespo

Hi to all...
Someone knows if is there possible to have a Python SOAP or XMLRPC
server that works with VB? I would like you to include the examples
clients and server programs.

My examples are:

#Server.py
import SOAPpy

def sum(x,y):
return x+y

server = SOAPpy.SOAPServer(("localhost", 8080))
server.registerFunction(sum)
server.serve_forever()

#client.py
import SOAPpy

server = SOAPpy.SOAPProxy("http://localhost:8080")
print server.sum(5,6)

#This should print: 11

These programs work perfect. The thing is that I need to access the
server from VB (like does SOAPpy accessing google's services)

Many thanks

Daniel

Robin Becker

dcrespo said:
Hi to all...
Someone knows if is there possible to have a Python SOAP or XMLRPC
server that works with VB? I would like you to include the examples
clients and server programs.

My examples are:

These programs work perfect. The thing is that I need to access the
server from VB (like does SOAPpy accessing google's services)

Many thanks

Daniel
A student whom I helped recently did a project on the various web service
protocols. Interoperability for SOAP was not very good. XMLRPC was much better
and he got java -- python etc etc pretty easily.

dcrespo

Hi... Thanks for your answer, but can you give me his contact or tell
him to post here the answer I'm looking for? I'm needing it seriously.

Robin Becker

dcrespo said:
Hi... Thanks for your answer, but can you give me his contact or tell
him to post here the answer I'm looking for? I'm needing it seriously.
Well I'm not a VB person so perhaps you need to ask on a VB list. Unfortunately
the student has vanished into the real world.

Magnus Lycka

dcrespo said:
Hi to all...
Someone knows if is there possible to have a Python SOAP or XMLRPC
server that works with VB? I would like you to include the examples
clients and server programs.

If you can write an XML-RPC client in VB, it will work with
XML-RPC servers written in any language. This is the wrong
forum to learn how to do that though. May I suggest that you
google for "visual basic xml-rpc client"

phil hunt

If you can write an XML-RPC client in VB, it will work with
XML-RPC servers written in any language. This is the wrong
forum to learn how to do that though. May I suggest that you
google for "visual basic xml-rpc client"

I thought it was the whole point of XMLRPC that the server can be
written in one language and the client in another. Am I wrong?

Magnus Lycka

phil said:
I thought it was the whole point of XMLRPC that the server can be
written in one language and the client in another. Yes.

Am I wrong?
No. That's what I said. The OP wanted to write a VB client, and
I don't think this is the forum for questions about that. I can
understand that he tried though. Every time I tried to find info
about VB on the net, the discussions were on the "Hello World"
level...

Holger Duerer

Daniel> Someone knows if is there possible to have a Python SOAP
Daniel> or XMLRPC server that works with VB?
Sure, why not? What have you tried that didn't work? Getting SOAP
libraries to interoperate is often a pain but usually possible unless
you want to be able to have more than one type of library for clients.

Daniel> My examples are:
[...]

Good. So you seem to have the Python side going.
Are you asking in the Python group for help with VB?
Or do you have a VB solution/attempt that you can't get
your Python server to work with?

In the former case I suggest you contact a VB group in the latter that
you post infos on what you have tried already so we don't have to
guess.

As an additional pointer, I can tell you that I have had success with
getting a PocketSOAP client to talk to a SoapPy server. You may want
to give that a try.

Holger

Sybren Stuvel

phil hunt enlightened us with:
I thought it was the whole point of XMLRPC that the server can be
written in one language and the client in another. Am I wrong?

It is, but not all SOAP libs really support the standard.

Sybren