SOAP applicable in this scenario ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tristan, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    Hi,

    first the case:
    I want to implement a distributed application (client/server
    architecture).
    The server collects UDP packets from somewhere else. The client or
    clients must somehow get these packets from the server in real time. I
    mean if there are UDP packets coming to the server, the server should
    immediately forward these packets to each client. It would be a great
    thing if the clients could be behind a firewall, so that no network
    settings are needed (e.g. open certain ports). So my idea was to use
    SOAP as communication protocol.
    The problem is that I have to do permanently SOAP RPCs to ask the
    server if there are new packets. I think that's not so good,
    especially if there are many clients, I get performance problems. Is
    there a solution to solve the problem of real time passing of
    information with SOAP ?

    Thank you.

    Bye, Tristan.
    Tristan, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Tristan

    Hugo Pragt Guest

    Hi, here's my two pence:

    1) SOAP is an expensive protocol, I don't know how many UDP packets per
    second you are planning to process, but maybe you want something less
    expensive (=CPU consuming)..

    2) When all your clients run a SOAP server, you can push the SOAP envelopes
    to them, instead of them polling the server. This is almost anythime a
    better scaleable solution.

    3) If you have A LOT of clients you can make some or all of them subhosts,
    creating your own DNS like network for forwarding information.

    Hugo Pragt, Jan 26, 2004