    Someone use gsoap or axisc with success ?

    Thanks in advance,
    t1t0
    t1t0, Nov 4, 2011

  2. t1t0

    Noah Roberts Guest

    On Nov 5, 3:04 pm, Paavo Helde <> wrote:
    > t1t0 <> wrote innews:j91tlm$5bk$:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > there is someone that use a opensource and multiplataform C/C++ library
    > > to implement a SOAP client?

    > > Someone use gsoap or axisc with success ?

    > First, this is not quite on topic here, so you may get better responses
    > somewhere else.
    >
    > Nevertheless, we have experimented with gsoap in the past. In principle it
    > was working, though it was a bit slow (probably this is inherent for SOAP)
    > and required some twiddling for passing utf-8 and binary data, and the
    > generated code seemed quite fragile. It also had some licensing issues
    > IIRC. We have now switched over to other communication protocols (not
    > necessarily better!) so I cannot comment on the current status.

    gSOAP does seem to be the only reasonable alternative for C or C++.
    That's unfortunate though because it's really a fragile library that
    doesn't seem to me to be very well done. It's got a lot of
    documentation, but unfortunately none of it is that good. Which of
    the 5 different functions to use for deleting stuff should be used for
    different conditions for example is difficult to find. There's no
    reference material, only a long tutorial like thing that seems to me
    to be rather incomplete.

    The code it generates is rather convoluted, or at least for what I've
    used it for. This may not be entirely gSOAP's fault since I believe
    the people who made the SOAP interface I'm working with did a poor job
    as well. For example, the user/pass strings that go in the soap
    request are labeled as "optional" and thus gsoap makes them
    std::string * members in the structures when you do C++. Speaking of
    which, the C++ code it generates is just crappy so you may as well
    stick with the C.

    Unfortunately, this later bit causes some issues as well since it's
    structures are all built differently if you're compiling in C vs. C+
    +. This caused me a bunch of troubles, at link time because of
    course .c files are compiled as C and anything else I'm doing is in C+
    +, including the bits that include files that have the soap structures
    defined. Thus some parts of the program end up thinking things like
    that there's destructors and vector members in the context while other
    parts of the program do not.

    This caused me all kinds of problems until I just decided to change
    the names of the generated files. It would have been much better if
    they'd just written the thing in C, but no...gotta do both.

    If there was another option that was still maintained I'd certainly
    use it. Unfortunately there's not much.
    Noah Roberts, Nov 6, 2011

  3. t1t0

    t1t0 Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: SOAP client library

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:04:15 -0500, Paavo Helde wrote:

    > First, this is not quite on topic here, so you may get better responses
    > somewhere else.

    Thanks for the reply, I'll go ahead trying gsoap.
    What's a correct group to post this topic?
    t1t0, Nov 6, 2011
  4. t1t0

    t1t0 Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:54:49 -0700, Noah Roberts wrote:

    > There's no
    > reference material, only a long tutorial like thing that seems to me to
    > be rather incomplete.

    I think too, but it's seem a common problem with a lot of c/c++ library,
    isn't ?

    However, did you try axisc or others libraries like some of thats http://
    www.soapclient.com/SourceCode.html ?
    Did you think that gsoap is the 'better' of thats ?

    > Speaking of
    > which, the C++ code it generates is just crappy so you may as well stick
    > with the C.

    Do you suggest to generate the code in pure C?

    Thanks in advance,
    t1t0
    t1t0, Nov 6, 2011
  5. t1t0

    Noah Roberts Guest

    On Nov 6, 2:29 am, t1t0 <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:54:49 -0700, Noah Roberts wrote:
    > > There's no
    > > reference material, only a long tutorial like thing that seems to me to
    > > be rather incomplete.

    > I think too, but it's seem a common problem with a lot of c/c++ library,
    > isn't ?
    >
    > However, did you try axisc or others libraries like some of thats http://www.soapclient.com/SourceCode.html?
    > Did you think that gsoap is the 'better' of thats ?

    Well, the only one I hadn't tried was SQLData's client library, which
    I just tried to get and look at but get 404 error codes every time.
    This seems fairly standard for C and C++ soap libraries and the way in
    which gSOAP is "better" is that it mostly works and doesn't have a
    bunch of broken links in the website and/or tests.

    > >  Speaking of
    > > which, the C++ code it generates is just crappy so you may as well stick
    > > with the C.

    > Do you suggest to generate the code in pure C?

    Yeah, in my experience the C++ that gsoap generates is worse than the
    C. You can make a wrapper to use it in C++ much better that it
    generates.

    Noah Roberts, Nov 6, 2011