SOAP finance requests?

Robert M. Gary

I'm trying to get historic stock returns for a web-app I want to put
together. Does anyone know of a source of such data? I see some SOAP
sites that offer quotes but I need the previous 30 months of returns to
generate my graphs.
Thanks!
-Robert

Robert M. Gary

What is the SOAP protocol for that? I want to allow people to enter a
list of stocks and then produce financial models for them.

Joan

Robert M. Gary said:
What is the SOAP protocol for that? I want to allow people to
enter a
list of stocks and then produce financial models for them.

Don't know about soap, your original request was:

"I'm trying to get historic stock returns for a web-app I want to
put
together. Does anyone know of a source of such data?"

Robert M. Gary

Ok, forget the SOAP. How does your web-app retrieve the data from
finance.yahoo.com?
-Robert

Joan

Robert M. Gary said:
Ok, forget the SOAP. How does your web-app retrieve the data from
finance.yahoo.com?
-Robert

In a nutshell you generate a url
For testing you can paste the url into your browser

// coTick is the ticker symbol like "IBM"
// a=month, b=day, c=year of the older date
// d=month, e=day, e=year of the newer date
u = "http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=" + coTick + "&a=" + ya + "&b="
+ yb + "&c=" + yc + "&d=" + yd + "&e=" + ye + "&f=" + yf + "&g=" + yg;

try {
url = new URL(u);
// then you download the url

Robert M. Gary

Cool. That should work. I'll get back an html that I can use to scrape
out the data and apply the numbers to my formulas.

-Robert

Joan

Robert M. Gary said:
Cool. That should work. I'll get back an html that I can use to
scrape
out the data and apply the numbers to my formulas.

-Robert

Even better, you get a text file in the csv format so you can use
split
on each line to get the data.

Robert M. Gary

BTW: How do you come across this type of information? I didn't see
anything advertised by yahoo about this? Is there a directory of these
types of resources? Is there a limited number of queries that can come
from an IP? Should I use an applet to keep it from looking like all the
requests are coming from my web page :) ?

Joan

Robert M. Gary said:
BTW: How do you come across this type of information? I didn't
see
anything advertised by yahoo about this? Is there a directory
of these
types of resources? Is there a limited number of queries that
can come
from an IP? Should I use an applet to keep it from looking like
all the
requests are coming from my web page :) ?

I found it accidently on someone's blog - forgot where.

I think you can request as often as you like, but have not tested
it.