    generate my graphs.
    Thanks!
    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Robert M. Gary

    Joan Guest

    I get mine from "finance.yahoo.com"

    Joan, Nov 11, 2005

  3. What is the SOAP protocol for that? I want to allow people to enter a
    list of stocks and then produce financial models for them.

    Robert M. Gary, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Robert M. Gary

    Joan Guest

    > What is the SOAP protocol for that? I want to allow people to
    > enter a
    > list of stocks and then produce financial models for them.

    Don't know about soap, your original request was:

    Joan, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Ok, forget the SOAP. How does your web-app retrieve the data from
    finance.yahoo.com?
    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Robert M. Gary

    Joan Guest

    "Robert M. Gary" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Ok, forget the SOAP. How does your web-app retrieve the data from
    > finance.yahoo.com?
    > -Robert

    In a nutshell you generate a url
    For testing you can paste the url into your browser

    // coTick is the ticker symbol like "IBM"
    // a=month, b=day, c=year of the older date
    // d=month, e=day, e=year of the newer date
    u = "http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=" + coTick + "&a=" + ya + "&b="
    + yb + "&c=" + yc + "&d=" + yd + "&e=" + ye + "&f=" + yf + "&g=" + yg;

    try {
    url = new URL(u);
    // then you download the url

    Joan, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Cool. That should work. I'll get back an html that I can use to scrape
    out the data and apply the numbers to my formulas.

    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Nov 12, 2005
  8. Robert M. Gary

    Joan Guest

    > Cool. That should work. I'll get back an html that I can use to
    > scrape
    > out the data and apply the numbers to my formulas.
    >
    > -Robert

    Even better, you get a text file in the csv format so you can use
    split
    on each line to get the data.

    Joan, Nov 12, 2005
  9. Awesome! That's great to know!

    Robert M. Gary, Nov 13, 2005
  10. BTW: How do you come across this type of information? I didn't see
    anything advertised by yahoo about this? Is there a directory of these
    types of resources? Is there a limited number of queries that can come
    from an IP? Should I use an applet to keep it from looking like all the
    requests are coming from my web page :) ?

    Robert M. Gary, Nov 13, 2005
  11. Robert M. Gary

    Joan Guest

    > BTW: How do you come across this type of information? I didn't
    > see
    > anything advertised by yahoo about this? Is there a directory
    > of these
    > types of resources? Is there a limited number of queries that
    > can come
    > from an IP? Should I use an applet to keep it from looking like
    > all the
    > requests are coming from my web page :) ?

    I found it accidently on someone's blog - forgot where.

    I think you can request as often as you like, but have not tested
    it.

    Joan, Nov 13, 2005
  12. Robert M. Gary

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:08:00 -0600, "Joan" <>

    or use a CSVReader. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/csv.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 14, 2005