    name? The thing is that I don't really know about the parameters of it
    nor what its return value is supposed to be. Can I still work with it?
    Thanks for your help.

    Chiara Popalopa, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Chiara Popalopa wrote:

    > I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
    > The application is in VB.net.
    > The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
    > different.
    > What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
    > encoding.

    Frankly to build and/or consume web services with .NET you do not need
    to deal with SOAP at all, if you want to write a web service you can
    write an .asmx file with a class deriving from WebService. If you want
    to write a client you can generate the source code with a tool called
    wsdl.exe I think which directly reads out the service description of a
    web service and generates a proxy object that you can use in your .NET
    client. No need to deal with SOAP at all:
    <http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webservicesintro.aspx>

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Martin Honnen <> wrote in message news:<424a8891$0$11475$-online.net>...
    > Chiara Popalopa wrote:
    >
    > > I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
    > > The application is in VB.net.
    > > The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
    > > different.
    > > What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
    > > encoding.

    > Frankly to build and/or consume web services with .NET you do not need
    > to deal with SOAP at all, if you want to write a web service you can
    > write an .asmx file with a class deriving from WebService. If you want
    > to write a client you can generate the source code with a tool called
    > wsdl.exe I think which directly reads out the service description of a
    > web service and generates a proxy object that you can use in your .NET
    > client. No need to deal with SOAP at all:
    > <http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webservicesintro.aspx>

    The thing is that I have to use SOAP to test the application. That is
    what they asked me to do.
    I forgot to add that I don't know how to load my request. Do I just
    open it in a web browser?

    Chiara Popalopa, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Chiara Popalopa wrote:

    > The thing is that I have to use SOAP to test the application. That is
    > what they asked me to do.

    You have no clue about SOAP but want to create it by hand to call a web
    service? If you create a proxy class with .NET it will offer you a fine
    API but create and send SOAP under the hood so your test would use SOAP.

    Anyway, if you have a .NET web service, it usually exposes a kind of
    help page with example SOAP messages e.g. this service
    <http://www.bindows.net/services/MathService.asmx>
    for method add exposes this help page
    <http://www.bindows.net/services/MathService.asmx?op=add>
    where you can see an example SOAP request that the .NET webservice
    should understand.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/