SOAP requests

Chiara Popalopa

I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
The application is in VB.net.
The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
different.
What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
encoding.
And for the functions I'm supposed to test, do I have to put the exact
name? The thing is that I don't really know about the parameters of it
nor what its return value is supposed to be. Can I still work with it?
Thanks for your help.

Martin Honnen

Chiara said:
I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
The application is in VB.net.
The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
different.
What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
encoding.

Frankly to build and/or consume web services with .NET you do not need
to deal with SOAP at all, if you want to write a web service you can
write an .asmx file with a class deriving from WebService. If you want
to write a client you can generate the source code with a tool called
wsdl.exe I think which directly reads out the service description of a
web service and generates a proxy object that you can use in your .NET
client. No need to deal with SOAP at all:
<http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webservicesintro.aspx>

Chiara Popalopa

Martin Honnen said:
Frankly to build and/or consume web services with .NET you do not need
to deal with SOAP at all, if you want to write a web service you can
write an .asmx file with a class deriving from WebService. If you want
to write a client you can generate the source code with a tool called
wsdl.exe I think which directly reads out the service description of a
web service and generates a proxy object that you can use in your .NET
client. No need to deal with SOAP at all:
<http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webservicesintro.aspx>

The thing is that I have to use SOAP to test the application. That is
what they asked me to do.
I forgot to add that I don't know how to load my request. Do I just
open it in a web browser?

Martin Honnen

Chiara said:
The thing is that I have to use SOAP to test the application. That is
what they asked me to do.

You have no clue about SOAP but want to create it by hand to call a web
service? If you create a proxy class with .NET it will offer you a fine
API but create and send SOAP under the hood so your test would use SOAP.

Anyway, if you have a .NET web service, it usually exposes a kind of
help page with example SOAP messages e.g. this service
<http://www.bindows.net/services/MathService.asmx>
for method add exposes this help page
<http://www.bindows.net/services/MathService.asmx?op=add>
where you can see an example SOAP request that the .NET webservice
should understand.