SOAP spec

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Guest, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    after reading soap specification at w3c i have a few questions

    1) you can't use soap-envelope namespace with application specific
    <element>?

    since soap schema have not define namespace (env) can use with <MyElement>

    inside soap schema -->

    targetNamespace=http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope

    indicates that the elements defined by this schema are <Header>

    for example: <env:MyElement> --> we cannot use the envlope namespace with
    <MyElement>?

    note: <MyElement> is an element generate from my own application

    2) in soap schema we have

    xmlns:tns="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
    targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
    elementFormDefault="qualified">

    in soap request xml we can delcare using that namespace by

    <env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope">

    so all element with env namespace will follow rules in soap schema at
    http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope/
    is that correct?

    at the same time all element in My namespace will follow rules in my new
    schema that i define?

    3) the above is why we need namespace?

    for example -

    a) soap-envelope namespace is a set of elements includes <Envelope> <Header>

    b) WSDL namespace is for a set of elements <definitions> <types> <message>
    <portType> <binding> .. etc etc

    c) My own defined namespace is for a set of elements <MyElement> .. etc etc
    that i defined.

    so namespace can distinguish a set of elements in XML that's defined by
    different people?

    Thanks

    Guest, Mar 5, 2006

    Josh Twist Guest

    1.) Your own elements should be in your own namespace. e.g. the stock
    HelloWorld example is in the http://tempuri.org namespace.

    <soap:Body>
    <HelloWorldResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
    <HelloWorldResult>Hello World</HelloWorldResult>
    </HelloWorldResponse>
    </soap:Body>
    </soap:Envelope>

    2.) Yes, absolutely
    3.) Yup, that's exactly what namespaces are for. Each example node
    below are different nodes even though they have the same name. The idea
    is to stop us developers treading all over each others toes when our
    xml documents meet :)

    <container xmlns:ns1="some-namespace" xmlns:ns2="other-namespace"
    xmlns="default-namespace">
    <ns1:example>one</ns1:example>
    <ns2:example>one</ns2:example>
    <example>one</example>
    </container>

    Note that the above document is semantically identical to the one below
    because the prefix (xx:) doesn't mean anything, it's just short hand
    for the namespace itself.

    <foo:container xmlns:nonsense="some-namespace"
    xmlns:hello="other-namespace" xmlns:foo="default-namespace">
    <nonsense:example>one</nonsense:example>
    <hello:example>one</hello:example>
    <foo:example>one</foo:example>
    </foo:container>

    Josh