    http://www.opensourcetutorials.com/...oding/Python/python-soap-libraries/page1.html

    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/619251 This is
    current, but is this a long term strategy or a short term tactic?

    Paul Watson, Feb 16, 2008

  2. Paul Watson

    Paul Watson Guest

    On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 10:59 -0600, Paul Watson wrote:
    > What are the reasonable current day choices and best bets for the future
    > when doing SOAP programming in Python? SOAP batteries do not appear to
    > be in the standard Python distribution.
    >
    > Most of the SOAP related information I have been able to find on the web
    > is from 2001-2002. I am not sure if some packages are still maintained.
    > Most of this is old news.
    >
    > http://soapy.sourceforge.net/
    > http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/ (SOAPpy)
    > and what is the relation of this to ZSI
    >
    > http://www.intertwingly.net/stories/2002/12/20/sbe.html
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth5/
    > http://www.opensourcetutorials.com/...oding/Python/python-soap-libraries/page1.html
    >
    > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/619251 This is
    > current, but is this a long term strategy or a short term tactic?

    Have I offended? My apologies if I have. I thought I showed that I had
    done some homework and used Google and did the other things to show that
    I was willing to put forth some effort. Please tell me if I have missed
    something. If I should look somewhere besides Python for doing SOAP,
    then please say that also. Thanks.

    Paul Watson, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Paul Watson

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 19 Feb, 16:59, Paul Watson <> wrote:

    > Have I offended? My apologies if I have. I thought I showed that I had
    > done some homework and used Google and did the other things to show that
    > I was willing to put forth some effort. Please tell me if I have missed
    > something. If I should look somewhere besides Python for doing SOAP,
    > then please say that also. Thanks.

    There's a Wiki page here about Web services in Python:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebServices

    I don't think that there's been a great deal of visible activity
    around SOAP in the Python community other than that you've already
    noticed. I entertained the idea of doing some more complete SOAP
    support as an add-on to the libxml2dom project, but not wanting to
    implement all the related specifications (schemas, service
    descriptions), I struggle to see the benefit compared to simpler
    solutions.

    That's not to say that SOAP has no value. Clearly, if you consider the
    different "use cases", SOAP is probably more appropriate for some than
    other solutions would be. If one were exposing some kind of repository
    through some kind of Web service, I'd consider approaches like REST,
    along with technologies like WebDAV (which overlaps with REST), XML-
    RPC and SOAP. But if the Web service were to involve issuing
    relatively complicated queries, and/or the repository wasn't strictly
    hierarchical (or couldn't be elegantly represented in such a way),
    then it would arguably be less appropriate to deploy a "pure" REST
    solution, favouring XML-RPC and SOAP instead.

    What undermines SOAP for me is that if I'm not too interested in
    treating it like some kind of RPC mechanism, then I can get most of
    the pertinent benefits from exchanging plain XML documents. You can,
    of course, do SOAP like this, but the obligation to look after the
    boilerplate elements (which should permit lots of fancy features like
    "routing", if such stuff is actually used in the real world) seems
    like a distraction to me.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Feb 19, 2008
  4. Paul Watson

    Paul Watson Guest

    On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 10:01 -0800, Paul Boddie wrote:
    > On 19 Feb, 16:59, Paul Watson <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Have I offended? My apologies if I have. I thought I showed that I had
    > > done some homework and used Google and did the other things to show that
    > > I was willing to put forth some effort. Please tell me if I have missed
    > > something. If I should look somewhere besides Python for doing SOAP,
    > > then please say that also. Thanks.

    > There's a Wiki page here about Web services in Python:
    >
    > http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebServices
    >
    > I don't think that there's been a great deal of visible activity
    > around SOAP in the Python community other than that you've already
    > noticed. I entertained the idea of doing some more complete SOAP
    > support as an add-on to the libxml2dom project, but not wanting to
    > implement all the related specifications (schemas, service
    > descriptions), I struggle to see the benefit compared to simpler
    > solutions.
    >
    > That's not to say that SOAP has no value. Clearly, if you consider the
    > different "use cases", SOAP is probably more appropriate for some than
    > other solutions would be. If one were exposing some kind of repository
    > through some kind of Web service, I'd consider approaches like REST,
    > along with technologies like WebDAV (which overlaps with REST), XML-
    > RPC and SOAP. But if the Web service were to involve issuing
    > relatively complicated queries, and/or the repository wasn't strictly
    > hierarchical (or couldn't be elegantly represented in such a way),
    > then it would arguably be less appropriate to deploy a "pure" REST
    > solution, favouring XML-RPC and SOAP instead.
    >
    > What undermines SOAP for me is that if I'm not too interested in
    > treating it like some kind of RPC mechanism, then I can get most of
    > the pertinent benefits from exchanging plain XML documents. You can,
    > of course, do SOAP like this, but the obligation to look after the
    > boilerplate elements (which should permit lots of fancy features like
    > "routing", if such stuff is actually used in the real world) seems
    > like a distraction to me.
    >
    > Paul

    Many thanks for your comments. I will take a look at the site.

    My primary orientation is in accessing large (one or more terabyte)
    databases and doing data integration (ETL, ELT, EAI, EII) work. Any
    other suggestions?

    Paul Watson, Feb 19, 2008
  5. Paul Watson

    Paul Watson, Feb 19, 2008