SOAP Web Service output and href= ??

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jim Garrison, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Jim Garrison

    Jim Garrison Guest

    I'm trying to process output from a Web Service using XSL. The output
    XML seems to randomly render some tags as hrefs to other tags, making
    the job of parsing the result with XSL really difficult.

    In the example below, the "comments" block contains an array of objects,
    each of which has various properties defined by contained tags. Instead
    of including the text values of those properties, the web service's
    serializer created the property tags with href= attributes pointing to
    xsd:string tags OUTSIDE the response object (i.e. at the top level
    within the SOAP envelope body)

    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    > <env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
    > <env:Body env:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
    > <m:fetchRequestResponse xmlns:m="http://cesd7001:8001/webservices/javaclass">
    > <result xmlns:n1="java:com.wholefoods.ittoolkit.ws.ccf"
    > type="n1:FetchRequestResults">
    > <exception nil="true" />
    > <request type="n1:Request">
    > [snip]
    > <comments arrayType="xsd:anyType[1]">
    > <anyType type="n1:Comment">
    > <createTs type="xsd:dateTime">2007-03-23T10:21:51-05:00</createTs>
    > <reqId type="xsd:long">0</reqId>
    > <sectionId href="#ID_40" />
    > <text href="#ID_41" />
    > <userId href="#ID_42" />
    > </anyType>
    > </comments>
    > [snip]
    > </request>
    > <result nil="true" />
    > </result>
    > </m:fetchRequestResponse>
    > <xsd:string id="ID_40" type="xsd:string">A</xsd:string>
    > <xsd:string id="ID_41" type="xsd:string">This is a test comment</xsd:string>
    > <xsd:string id="ID_42" type="xsd:string">garrisoj</xsd:string>
    > </env:Body>
    > </env:Envelope>

    Some questions:

    1) Is there a parameter I can specify at the server end that will cause
    it to generate all output inline instead of using HREFs? The server
    is WebLogic 8.1.6.

    2) Alternatively, is there an XSL processor option that automatically
    resolves hrefs and expands them inline?
    Jim Garrison, Mar 28, 2007