    server? My search-fu fails me.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    Joe Van Dyk, Jul 25, 2005

  2. On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

    > Are there any examples of a Ruby program that publishes a WSDL and
    > runs a SOAP server and another Ruby program that is a client of that
    > server? My search-fu fails me.

    The Pickaxe II does have an example of using a WSDL file. I remember
    seeing it just the other day. I believe it's just about reading a
    WSDL file though...

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Joe Van Dyk

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    On 7/25/05, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
    >=20
    > > Are there any examples of a Ruby program that publishes a WSDL and
    > > runs a SOAP server and another Ruby program that is a client of that
    > > server? My search-fu fails me.

    >=20
    > The Pickaxe II does have an example of using a WSDL file. I remember
    > seeing it just the other day. I believe it's just about reading a
    > WSDL file though...

    Yeah, I saw that. I'd like to create one though, and
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/wsdl/rdoc/ doesn't clear
    anything up for me.

    Joe Van Dyk, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Joe Van Dyk

    Adam Keys Guest

    On Jul 25, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

    > Yeah, I saw that. I'd like to create one though, and
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/wsdl/rdoc/ doesn't clear
    > anything up for me.

    The definitive soap4r site is http://dev.ctor.org/soap4r. There are
    a few examples there, plus a more up-to-date version of the soap4r
    library. These examples (http://dev.ctor.org/soap4r/browser/trunk/
    sample/wsdl/) should get you pointed in the right direction. I've
    also found looking over the unit tests to be really helpful in
    figuring out what's going on.

    Hope that helps,
    --
    ~akk
    http://therealadam.com

    Adam Keys, Jul 26, 2005

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi, Jul 26, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "NAKAMURA, Hiroshi" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Joe Van Dyk wrote:
    > > Are there any examples of a Ruby program that publishes a WSDL and
    > > runs a SOAP server and another Ruby program that is a client of that
    > > server? My search-fu fails me.

    > There's no support for WSDL 'generation' for now. I wish to create
    > ruby2wsdl.rb (there's already wsdl2ruby.rb) eventually but I have no
    > idea for now about how I can allow user to declare a type of parameter
    > in Ruby.

    This is one of the biggest missing pieces in ruby's wsdl support just
    yet. (Perl has much the same problem.)

    If your task is to expose a back end service implemented in Ruby to the
    outside world, it is very handy to have a functioning wsdl, and it is
    just hellish typing up a complicated wsdl by hand.

    When I had to do much the same in Perl, I ended up creating stubs in
    java, exposing them as an axis web service, then asking the server for
    foo.bar?wsdl, and hacking that into shape. This gave me something I
    could use with C#, Java, or Perl.

    Scott

    --
    Scott Ellsworth

    Java and database consulting for the life sciences

    Scott Ellsworth, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Joe Van Dyk wrote:
    > On 7/25/05, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
    >>

    >>>Are there any examples of a Ruby program that publishes a WSDL and
    >>>runs a SOAP server and another Ruby program that is a client of that
    >>>server? My search-fu fails me.

    >>The Pickaxe II does have an example of using a WSDL file. I remember
    >>seeing it just the other day. I believe it's just about reading a
    >>WSDL file though...

    > Yeah, I saw that. I'd like to create one though, and
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/wsdl/rdoc/ doesn't clear
    > anything up for me.

    Rails's ActionWebService supports generation of WSDL. I've tried it and
    it works. See http://aws.rubyonrails.com/. I believe you can use it
    independantly of the rest of Rails.

    Adam P. Jenkins, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Joe Van Dyk

    leon breedt Guest

    On 7/30/05, Adam P. Jenkins <> wrote:
    > Rails's ActionWebService supports generation of WSDL. I've tried it and
    > it works. See http://aws.rubyonrails.com/. I believe you can use it
    > independantly of the rest of Rails.

    It currently generates RPC-encoded WSDL, if that meets your requirements.

    You'll want to customize the WSDL service name and namespace:

    class WsController
    wsdl_service_name 'MyApp'
    wsdl_namespace 'http://myco.com/MyApp/1.0' # target/type namespace
    end

    As per the recommendations in the spec to differentiate your WSDL.

    Leon

    leon breedt, Jul 29, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    leon breedt <> wrote:

    > On 7/30/05, Adam P. Jenkins <> wrote:
    > > Rails's ActionWebService supports generation of WSDL. I've tried it and
    > > it works. See http://aws.rubyonrails.com/. I believe you can use it
    > > independantly of the rest of Rails.

    > It currently generates RPC-encoded WSDL, if that meets your requirements.
    >
    > You'll want to customize the WSDL service name and namespace:
    >
    > class WsController
    > wsdl service name 'MyApp'
    > wsdl namespace 'http://myco.com/MyApp/1.0' # target/type namespace
    > end
    >
    > As per the recommendations in the spec to differentiate your WSDL.

    Neatokeen. Thanks!

    Our WS wonk has been pleading for us to go to document literal of late,
    but we still have some xml-rpc stuff in the corpus and will for a while.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Jul 30, 2005