SoapDocumentMethod and oneway=true

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jesse Houwing, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. Hello all,

    I was wondering... If you look in the documentation and on the web to
    find any info on long running webservice calls, they all come down to:

    Add the SoapDocumentMethod Attribute to your webmethod and set it's
    OneWay property to true.

    Nowhere I can find though what will happen in any of the following
    situations:

    - The ASP.NET worker process hasn't had any requests for some time and
    is being shut down. Will the runtime see that a oneway call is still
    being handled?
    - You have x number of oneway calls being handled, will I run out of
    worker threads? Will subsequent calls fail, will the workerprocess reset
    itself?
    - Config changes and/or webserver resets. Will the thread be stopped
    nicely, or just yanked from memory.
    - What happens if the thread gets really busy and takes 40 minutes (or 3
    hours for that matter) of processing time, will the worker process reset
    itself?

    I need a few guarantees the thread will get time to finish. I also need
    some guarantees the rest of the webserver will continue to work without
    too many issues if I start processing long running tasks.

    Any answers are greatly appreciated.

    Kind Regards,

    Jesse Houwing

    Jesse Houwing, Apr 26, 2007