SoapException: Server was unable to process request. Access denied

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Cosp, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. Cosp

    Cosp Guest

    I am trying to compile a Web service in VS 2005.
    It builds fine, but as I try to run it it gives me an access denied on the
    publish directory (using the ASP.NET development server).

    the error:

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process
    request. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
    'C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ\My Documents\Visual Studio
    2005\WebSites\XXXWebService' is denied

    I opened up the directory to ASP.Net user with no luck, then I opened it to
    Everyone, still not working.
    The web.config does not seem to understand the <identity impersonate> tag
    (it wouldn't build).

    Thanks for any advice.

    Cosp
    Cosp, Sep 6, 2006

  2. "Cosp" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to compile a Web service in VS 2005.
    > It builds fine, but as I try to run it it gives me an access denied on the
    > publish directory (using the ASP.NET development server).
    >
    > the error:
    >
    > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process
    > request. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
    > 'C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ\My Documents\Visual Studio
    > 2005\WebSites\XXXWebService' is denied
    >
    > I opened up the directory to ASP.Net user with no luck, then I opened it
    > Everyone, still not working.
    > The web.config does not seem to understand the <identity impersonate> tag
    > (it wouldn't build).

    I recently had a problem that sounds similar. I had a program which was
    trying to access "C:\path\", and got an access denied error.

    This was because it only had the path, but no filename. It was, in effect,
    trying to access the folder as though it were a file. This was just a matter
    of a bad exception thrown by .NET. The real exception was that I was missing
    the file name.

    John
    John Saunders, Sep 6, 2006