SoapExtensions,WSE1,WSE2 What should I use?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Kenny M., Nov 23, 2004.

  1. Kenny M.

    Kenny M. Guest

    hi

    I have been using a system using a WS with no security at all

    Now I want to add some authentication logic in order to access the methods
    on the WS, but I'm a little bit confused about where is the tech now.

    I have read something about SoapExtensions in order to encrypt credentials
    but also I have seen WSE1 and 2 are around.

    What tech should I start to read deeply?
    What is the path I should follow?

    any coment

    --
    Kenny M.
    Kenny M., Nov 23, 2004

  2. Kenny M.

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Kenny,

    In order to understand which choice is best for you, I'd recommend you
    first download the WSE 2.0 toolkit, and build some sample secure web
    services. This will help you to know which security options are available
    in the toolkit (there are several) and then compare what you think it will
    take to change your existing service to use WSE. If you feel you can
    better roll-your-own security after this, Web Service Extensions are a
    simple way to introduce encryption and credential mapping into an existing
    service without writing or altering the code. I think that if it were me,
    I'd go with WSE 2.0 and learn what I need to learn to make that transition.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation

    Dan Rogers, Nov 23, 2004