SoapIgnore attribute ignored.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Benjamin Day, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Benjamin Day

    Benjamin Day Guest

    I'm passing classes through a web service. There are some properties on the
    class that I don't need to be serialized and would like to remove them for
    performance (size) reasons so I've marked them with the
    System.Xml.Serialization.SoapIgnore attribute.

    I recompiled and checked what was being sent over the wire. The ignored
    property is still showing up in the xml serialization!

    I've attached some sample code that uses XmlSerializer and I get the same
    behavior as thru the web service. (which, I suppose should make a lot of
    sense)

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    -Ben

    // test method
    private void DoSerialize()
    {
    TestClass temp=new TestClass();

    XmlSerializer serializer=new XmlSerializer(typeof(TestClass));

    StringBuilder sb=new StringBuilder();

    StringWriter stream=new StringWriter(sb);

    serializer.Serialize(stream, temp);

    MessageBox.Show(sb.ToString());
    }

    // class to be serialized
    using System;
    using System.Xml.Serialization;

    namespace SoapIgnoreTest
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for TestClass.
    /// </summary>
    public class TestClass
    {
    public TestClass()

    public string NotIgnored
    {
    get
    {
    return "NotIgnored";
    }
    set

    [SoapIgnore]
    public string Ignored
    {
    get
    {
    return "Ignored";
    }
    set

    http://www.benday.com
    Benjamin Day, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Benjamin,

    > I'm passing classes through a web service. There are some properties on

    the
    > class that I don't need to be serialized and would like to remove them for
    > performance (size) reasons so I've marked them with the
    > System.Xml.Serialization.SoapIgnore attribute.
    >
    > I recompiled and checked what was being sent over the wire. The ignored
    > property is still showing up in the xml serialization!

    SoapIgnoreAttribute is only taken into account if you're using SOAP RPC
    encoding, which it seems you're not using. For literal encoding (which is
    the default), use [XmlIgnore] instead.

    --
    Tomas Restrepo
    Tomas Restrepo \(MVP\), Sep 9, 2004

  3. Benjamin Day

    Benjamin Day Guest

    Thanks. That was exactly what I needed.

    I was hoping for a sec that I'd found a bug in the serialization namespace.
    :)

    -Ben

    Benjamin Day, Sep 9, 2004