sob..Someone can help me????plsss

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by aslamhenry@yahoo.com, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Guest

    please key in any 5 digits number : 56789

    and the ouput is
    5678 9
    567 89
    56 789
    5 6789

    how to write those program......

    my idea is like this...
    #include <stdio.h>

    void main()
    {
    int num;
    float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    float r1,r2,r3,r4;

    printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    scanf("%d",&num);

    num1=num/10;
    num2=num/100;
    num3=num/1000;
    num4=num/10000 ;

    r1=num%10;
    r2=num%100 ;
    r3=num%1000 ;
    r4=num%10000 ;

    printf("\n %.0f %.0f",num1,r1);
    printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num2,r2);
    printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num3,r3);
    printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num4,r4);

    the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    rubbish when i put 56789...
    but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....

    anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...

    and i really appriciate if someone can make it more efficient....

    THX MUahhh

    , Sep 20, 2007

    On Sep 20, 2:39 pm, wrote:
    > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789
    >
    > and the ouput is
    > 5678 9
    > 567 89
    > 56 789
    > 5 6789
    >
    > how to write those program......
    >
    > my idea is like this...
    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > void main()
    > {
    > int num;
    > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > float r1,r2,r3,r4;
    >
    > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > scanf("%d",&num);
    >
    > num1=num/10;
    > num2=num/100;
    > num3=num/1000;
    > num4=num/10000 ;
    >
    > r1=num%10;
    > r2=num%100 ;
    > r3=num%1000 ;
    > r4=num%10000 ;
    >
    > printf("\n %.0f %.0f",num1,r1);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num2,r2);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num3,r3);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num4,r4);}
    >
    > ___________________________________________________________________________­___
    >
    > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....
    >
    > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...
    >
    > and i really appriciate if someone can make it more efficient....
    >
    > THX MUahhh

    CORRECTION

    On Sep 20, 2:39 pm, wrote:
    > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789
    >
    > and the ouput is
    > 5678 9
    > 567 89
    > 56 789
    > 5 6789
    >
    > how to write those program......
    >
    > my idea is like this...
    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > void main()
    > {
    > int num;
    > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > float r1,r2,r3,r4;
    >
    > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > scanf("%d",&num);
    >
    > num1=num/10;
    > num2=num/100;
    > num3=num/1000;
    > num4=num/10000 ;
    >
    > r1=num%10;
    > r2=num%100 ;
    > r3=num%1000 ;
    > r4=num%10000 ;
    >
    > printf("\n %.0f %.0f",num1,r1);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num2,r2);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num3,r3);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num4,r4);}
    >
    > ___________________________________________________________________________­___
    >
    > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....
    >
    > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...
    >
    > and i really appreciate if someone can make it more efficient....
    >
    > THX MUahhh

    , Sep 20, 2007

  3. Army1987 Guest

    main returns an int. See www.c-faq.com, question 1.25b.

    > {
    > int num;
    > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > float r1,r2,r3,r4;
    >
    > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > scanf("%d",&num);

    [snip]
    > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....
    >
    > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...

    The maximum value guaranteed to fit in an int is 32767. Declare
    num as a long (you'll need to use "%ld" instead of "%d").
    By the way, there is absolutely no need to use floating point
    here, integers would do it, or better still consider the input as
    a string as you were told in the other thread.
    Do like this:
    read 6 characters from stdin;
    if the first 5 characters are digits and the sixth is whitespace,
    the input is ok; process it as you were told in the other thread;
    else do something sensible. Note that scanf doesn't touch num if
    it fails (e.g. there are no numeric data but letters or
    punctuation or else), in which case num stays uninitialized. Don't
    use scanf() unless there is no better choice. Hint: there always
    is a better choice.

    --
    Army1987 (Replace "NOSPAM" with "email")
    stupid “Smart Quotes†feature. This is so you'll avoid sprinkling garbage

    Army1987, Sep 20, 2007

    On Sep 20, 7:10 pm, Army1987 <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:39:27 -0700, aslamhenry wrote:
    > > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789

    > > and the ouput is
    > > 5678 9
    > > 567 89
    > > 56 789
    > > 5 6789

    > > how to write those program......

    > > my idea is like this...
    > > #include <stdio.h>

    > > void main()

    > main returns an int. Seewww.c-faq.com, question 1.25b.
    >
    > > {
    > > int num;
    > > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > > float r1,r2,r3,r4;

    > > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > > scanf("%d",&num);

    > [snip]
    > > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....

    > > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...

    > The maximum value guaranteed to fit in an int is 32767. Declare
    > num as a long (you'll need to use "%ld" instead of "%d").
    > By the way, there is absolutely no need to use floating point
    > here, integers would do it, or better still consider the input as
    > a string as you were told in the other thread.
    > Do like this:
    > read 6 characters from stdin;
    > if the first 5 characters are digits and the sixth is whitespace,
    > the input is ok; process it as you were told in the other thread;
    > else do something sensible. Note that scanf doesn't touch num if
    > it fails (e.g. there are no numeric data but letters or
    > punctuation or else), in which case num stays uninitialized. Don't
    > use scanf() unless there is no better choice. Hint: there always
    > is a better choice.
    >
    > --
    > Army1987 (Replace "NOSPAM" with "email")
    > If you're sending e-mail from a Windows machine, turn off Microsoft's
    > stupid "Smart Quotes" feature. This is so you'll avoid sprinkling garbage
    > characters through your mail. -- Eric S. Raymond and Rick Moen- Hide quoted text -

    how to use %ld??since im a newbie....there still a lot of coding that
    ive never seen before

    , Sep 20, 2007
  5. user923005 Guest

    On Sep 20, 8:02 am, wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 7:10 pm, Army1987 <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:39:27 -0700, aslamhenry wrote:
    > > > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789

    > > > and the ouput is
    > > > 5678 9
    > > > 567 89
    > > > 56 789
    > > > 5 6789

    > > > how to write those program......

    > > > my idea is like this...
    > > > #include <stdio.h>

    > > > void main()

    > > main returns an int. Seewww.c-faq.com, question 1.25b.

    > > > {
    > > > int num;
    > > > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > > > float r1,r2,r3,r4;

    > > > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > > > scanf("%d",&num);

    > > [snip]
    > > > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > > > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > > > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....

    > > > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...

    > > The maximum value guaranteed to fit in an int is 32767. Declare
    > > num as a long (you'll need to use "%ld" instead of "%d").
    > > By the way, there is absolutely no need to use floating point
    > > here, integers would do it, or better still consider the input as
    > > a string as you were told in the other thread.
    > > Do like this:
    > > read 6 characters from stdin;
    > > if the first 5 characters are digits and the sixth is whitespace,
    > > the input is ok; process it as you were told in the other thread;
    > > else do something sensible. Note that scanf doesn't touch num if
    > > it fails (e.g. there are no numeric data but letters or
    > > punctuation or else), in which case num stays uninitialized. Don't
    > > use scanf() unless there is no better choice. Hint: there always
    > > is a better choice.

    > > --
    > > Army1987 (Replace "NOSPAM" with "email")
    > > If you're sending e-mail from a Windows machine, turn off Microsoft's
    > > stupid "Smart Quotes" feature. This is so you'll avoid sprinkling garbage
    > > characters through your mail. -- Eric S. Raymond and Rick Moen- Hide quoted text -

    > how to use %ld??since im a newbie....there still a lot of coding that
    > ive never seen before

    Suggestion:
    Invest in a C book if you want to learn C.
    Try K&R2:
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/

    Meanwhile, try a google search like:
    http://www.google.com/search?client...hannel=s&hl=en&q=man scanf&btnG=Google Search

    user923005, Sep 20, 2007
  6. writes:
    [...]
    > how to use %ld??since im a newbie....there still a lot of coding that
    > ive never seen before

    Please trim quoted text when you post a followup. Quote just enough
    of the parent article so your response makes sense on its own. It's
    rarely necessary to quote the whole thing.

    Using "%ld" is a very elementary part of using printf. If your
    textbook is any good, you should be able to find the answer there.

    But I'll show you a quick example anyway:

    int x = 12345;
    long y = 12345678;
    printf("x = %d, y = %ld\n", x, y);

    Keith Thompson, Sep 20, 2007

    On Sep 20, 2:39 pm, wrote:
    > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789
    >
    > and the ouput is
    > 5678 9
    > 567 89
    > 56 789
    > 5 6789
    >
    > how to write those program......
    >
    > my idea is like this...
    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > void main()
    > {
    > int num;
    > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > float r1,r2,r3,r4;
    >
    > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > scanf("%d",&num);
    >
    > num1=num/10;
    > num2=num/100;
    > num3=num/1000;
    > num4=num/10000 ;
    >
    > r1=num%10;
    > r2=num%100 ;
    > r3=num%1000 ;
    > r4=num%10000 ;
    >
    > printf("\n %.0f %.0f",num1,r1);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num2,r2);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num3,r3);
    > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num4,r4);}
    >
    > ___________________________________________________________________________­___
    >
    > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....
    >
    > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...
    >
    > and i really appriciate if someone can make it more efficient....

    ceh my teacher is totally jerk........now he ask me to do in looping
    humm.....i think maybe i can use for...nvm i will try to do on my
    own...
    i will ask if got any prob....
    i think must use nested for...

    , Sep 20, 2007
  8. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > ceh my teacher is totally jerk........now he ask me to do in looping
    > humm.....i think maybe i can use for...nvm i will try to do on my
    > own...
    > i will ask if got any prob....
    > i think must use nested for...

    What are all those dots for? Sentences are normally terminated
    with a period (one dot) followed by two spaces. Sentences are
    normally commenced with an upper case letter. All this greatly
    improves readability. Other possible sentence terminating
    punctuation marks include '!' and '?'. After you get those
    straight start thinking about comma, colon, and semi-colon. But
    start with period (the one dot).

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Sep 20, 2007
  9. Army1987 Guest

    [OT] Re: sob..Someone can help me????plsss

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:35:43 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > What are all those dots for? Sentences are normally terminated
    > with a period (one dot) followed by two spaces.

    Not by everybody. Many people follow it with one space.

    Army1987, Sep 21, 2007
  10. pete Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sep 20, 2:39 pm, wrote:
    > > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789
    > >
    > > and the ouput is
    > > 5678 9
    > > 567 89
    > > 56 789
    > > 5 6789
    > >
    > > how to write those program......
    > >
    > > my idea is like this...
    > > #include <stdio.h>
    > >
    > > void main()
    > > {
    > > int num;
    > > float num1,num2,num3,num4;
    > > float r1,r2,r3,r4;
    > >
    > > printf("please key in any 5 digit number:");
    > > scanf("%d",&num);
    > >
    > > num1=num/10;
    > > num2=num/100;
    > > num3=num/1000;
    > > num4=num/10000 ;
    > >
    > > r1=num%10;
    > > r2=num%100 ;
    > > r3=num%1000 ;
    > > r4=num%10000 ;
    > >
    > > printf("\n %.0f %.0f",num1,r1);
    > > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num2,r2);
    > > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num3,r3);
    > > printf(" \n %.0f %.0f",num4,r4);}
    > >
    > > ___________________________________________________________________________­___
    > >
    > > the problem occur when i entered nnumber 56789.It output become
    > > rubbish when i put 56789...
    > > but if i key in 12345 the program excute nicely.....
    > >
    > > anyone can tell what wrong with my coding...
    > >
    > > and i really appriciate if someone can make it more efficient....
    > >

    > ceh my teacher is totally jerk........now he ask me to do in looping
    > humm.....i think maybe i can use for...nvm i will try to do on my
    > own...
    > i will ask if got any prob....
    > i think must use nested for...

    It's really a string problem and not a math problem.

    /* BEGIN new.c */

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <ctype.h>

    #define LENGTH 5
    #define str(x) # x
    #define xstr(x) str(x)

    int main(void)
    {
    int rc;
    char array[LENGTH + 1];
    size_t index, space, loop;

    fputs("please key in any 5 digits number :", stdout);
    fflush(stdout);
    rc = fscanf(stdin, "%" xstr(LENGTH) "[^\n]%*[^\n]", array);
    if (!feof(stdin)) {
    getc(stdin);
    }
    if (rc == 0) {
    array[0] = '\0';
    }
    if (rc == EOF) {
    puts("rc equals EOF");
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    }
    for (index = 0; index != sizeof array - 1; ++index) {
    if (isdigit((unsigned char)array[index]) == 0) {
    puts("isnum(array[index]) == 0");
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    space = 0;
    for (loop = sizeof array - 2; loop != 0; --loop) {
    for (index = space; index != 0; --index) {
    putchar(' ');
    }
    for (space += 2; index != loop; ++index) {
    putchar(array[index]);
    }
    putchar(' ');
    putchar(' ');
    puts(array + index);
    }
    return 0;

    pete

    pete, Sep 21, 2007
  11. pete Guest

    pete wrote:

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sep 20, 2:39 pm, wrote:
    > > > please key in any 5 digits number : 56789
    > > >
    > > > and the ouput is
    > > > 5678 9
    > > > 567 89
    > > > 56 789
    > > > 5 6789

    > It's really a string problem and not a math problem.
    >
    > /* BEGIN new.c */
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <ctype.h>
    >
    > #define LENGTH 5
    > #define str(x) # x
    > #define xstr(x) str(x)
    >
    > int main(void)
    > {
    > int rc;
    > char array[LENGTH + 1];
    > size_t index, space, loop;
    >
    > fputs("please key in any 5 digits number :", stdout);

    I like this better:

    printf("please key in any " xstr(LENGTH) " digits number :");

    --
    pete

    pete, Sep 21, 2007
  12. Re: [OT] Re: sob..Someone can help me????plsss

    Army1987 said:

    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:35:43 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> What are all those dots for? Sentences are normally terminated
    >> with a period (one dot) followed by two spaces.

    > Not by everybody. Many people follow it with one space.

    The two-space gap between sentences goes back to typewriting with a
    fixed-pitch font. It was considered to be more aesthetically pleasing than
    a single space, although really two spaces was a little too much (but one
    space wasn't quite enough!). With the advent of smart word processors that
    could put an aesthetically decent gap between one sentence and the next,
    given only the hint of a full stop and a space, the practice faded out,
    even in Usenet, where fixed-pitch fonts are the norm (presumably because
    many people do more typing in word processors or other programs with
    good Usenet clients).

    I've been using one space as a sentence separator for so long that I cannot
    now remember when I made the switch from two spaces.

    I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great deal
    of success.

    Email: -www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Sep 21, 2007
  13. Richard Bos Guest

    CBFalconer <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > ceh my teacher is totally jerk........now he ask me to do in looping
    > > humm.....i think maybe i can use for...nvm i will try to do on my
    > > own...
    > > i will ask if got any prob....
    > > i think must use nested for...

    > What are all those dots for? Sentences are normally terminated
    > with a period (one dot) followed by two spaces.

    One space, in civilised countries.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Sep 21, 2007
  14. Flash Gordon Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote, On 21/09/07 01:52:
    > Army1987 said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:35:43 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> What are all those dots for? Sentences are normally terminated
    >>> with a period (one dot) followed by two spaces.

    >> Not by everybody. Many people follow it with one space.

    > The two-space gap between sentences goes back to typewriting with a
    > fixed-pitch font. It was considered to be more aesthetically pleasing than
    > a single space, although really two spaces was a little too much (but one
    > space wasn't quite enough!). With the advent of smart word processors that
    > could put an aesthetically decent gap between one sentence and the next,
    > given only the hint of a full stop and a space, the practice faded out,
    > even in Usenet, where fixed-pitch fonts are the norm (presumably because
    > many people do more typing in word processors or other programs with
    > good Usenet clients).
    >
    > I've been using one space as a sentence separator for so long that I cannot
    > now remember when I made the switch from two spaces.
    >
    > I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great deal
    > of success.

    You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
    that they use two spaces.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Sep 21, 2007
  15. Army1987 Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:40:26 -0400, pete wrote:

    > I like this better:
    >
    > printf("please key in any " xstr(LENGTH) " digits number :");

    If you are indeed using printf, what's wrong with
    printf("please key in any %d digits number :", (int)LENGTH)?
    It'll continue to work if you define LENGTH in some more insane way.

    Army1987, Sep 21, 2007
  16. Army1987 Guest

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:

    >> I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great deal
    >> of success.

    > You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
    > that they use two spaces.

    It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two
    spaces, too. (The solution could be using an extensive list of all
    abbreviations such as Mr. etc. which can be followed by a capital
    letter without starting a new sentence... But maybe there are
    ambiguities, there, too?
    And what about cases such as a proper name immediately followed by
    ellipses? Ellipses are always three dots, they don't become four
    when they end a sentence, usually the only way to tell if they do
    is the case of the following letter...)

    Anyway, a program written in C which uses ". " to tell where a
    sentence finishes would be broken by using ". ".

    Army1987, Sep 21, 2007
  17. Al Balmer Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: sob..Someone can help me????plsss

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:52:23 +0000, Richard Heathfield
    <> wrote:

    >even in Usenet, where fixed-pitch fonts are the norm (presumably because
    >many people do more typing in word processors or other programs with
    >good Usenet clients).

    Since we're off-topic anyway, I wonder if this is actually true? I
    read Usenet in a proportional font simply because I find it easier to
    read. I switch to a fixed font when someone posts code, or underlines
    an non-obvious part of the previous sentence. I consider my Usenet
    client to be a good one. In fact, the ability to switch fonts is one
    of its good features :)

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Sep 21, 2007
  18. Re: [OT] Re: sob..Someone can help me????plsss

    In article <>,
    Al Balmer <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:52:23 +0000, Richard Heathfield
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>even in Usenet, where fixed-pitch fonts are the norm

    >Since we're off-topic anyway, I wonder if this is actually true?

    Who knows? Unless someone cares to do a statistical study of the
    X-Newsreader headers of a large number of posts, and trusts that
    the newsreaders are not lying about what program they are, and
    the Newsreader name is correlated to ability to change fonts... then
    the matter is essentially undecideable, potentially amenable only to
    polls with bad "self-selection" bias.

    And even if someone bothers to look up my X-Newsreader header and
    notices that it cannot change fonts, they would miss the fact that I'm
    almost always running the newsreader inside a terminal window and that
    the terminal window can be configured to any font I want.

    But if anyone cares: *I* only use fixed-width for reading Usenet.
    I scan too many messages in which the formatting is important
    (e.g., code) to make it worth flipping back and forth between
    fonts.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 21, 2007
  19. Flash Gordon Guest

    Army1987 wrote, On 21/09/07 14:22:
    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great deal
    >>> of success.

    >> You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
    >> that they use two spaces.

    > It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two

    <snip difficulties>

    I did not say that it was easy. Perhaps it would make good coursework
    with extra marks being given for each of the difficulties the student
    raises?

    > Anyway, a program written in C which uses ". " to tell where a
    > sentence finishes would be broken by using ". ".

    I was not suggesting that a program should do that.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Sep 21, 2007
  20. CBFalconer Guest

    Army1987 wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
    >> that they use two spaces.

    > It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two
    > spaces, too. (The solution could be using an extensive list of all
    > abbreviations such as Mr. etc. which can be followed by a capital
    > letter without starting a new sentence... But maybe there are
    > ambiguities, there, too?
    > And what about cases such as a proper name immediately followed by
    > ellipses? Ellipses are always three dots, they don't become four
    > when they end a sentence, usually the only way to tell if they do
    > is the case of the following letter...)
    >
    > Anyway, a program written in C which uses ". " to tell where a
    > sentence finishes would be broken by using ". ".

    Hey, I just wrote a sentence advising aslamhenny how to properly
    punctuate English sentences; I didn't expect a major upheaval from
    it. (And they don't end with ....).

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Sep 21, 2007