sob..Someone can help me????plsss

Army1987

Army1987 wrote, On 21/09/07 14:22:
I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great deal
of success.
You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
that they use two spaces.
[snip]
Anyway, a program written in C which uses ". " to tell where a
sentence finishes would be broken by using ". ".

I was not suggesting that a program should do that.
Neither was I. It was just another example of a way to link this
to C. (Anyway, Emacs does do that.)

pete

Army1987 said:
If you are indeed using printf, what's wrong with
printf("please key in any %d digits number :", (int)LENGTH)?

There's nothing wrong with that.
It'll continue to work if you define LENGTH in some more insane way.

But I already had the xstr() macro defined, so I used it.

Ian Collins

pete said:
There's nothing wrong with that.

But I already had the xstr() macro defined, so I used it.
Why go to all that trouble with macro when you could simply use an enum
for length?

pete

Ian said:
Why go to all that trouble with macro
when you could simply use an enum for length?

I needed the macro in this line:

rc = fscanf(stdin, "%" xstr(LENGTH) "[^\n]%*[^\n]", array);

which I snipped.

Dik T. Winter

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:
>

> It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two
> spaces, too.

Not when Mr Heathfield is typing. In standard British, an abbreviation that
contains the last letter of the original word is not followed by a period. If
you had said "Prof. Foo" it would have been another matter.

Dik T. Winter

> Who knows? Unless someone cares to do a statistical study of the
> X-Newsreader headers of a large number of posts, and trusts that
> the newsreaders are not lying about what program they are, and
> the Newsreader name is correlated to ability to change fonts... then
> the matter is essentially undecideable, potentially amenable only to
> polls with bad "self-selection" bias.

And the newsreader actually does put in such a line (mine does not).
> But if anyone cares: *I* only use fixed-width for reading Usenet.
> I scan too many messages in which the formatting is important
> (e.g., code) to make it worth flipping back and forth between
> fonts.

Indeed.

Richard Heathfield

Army1987 said:
It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two
spaces, too.

This is possibly one reason for the development of open punctuation, in
which the punctuating of abbreviations was dropped completely, as in "Mr
Foo" rather than "Mr. Foo", "BBC" rather than "B.B.C.", etc.

Dik T. Winter

> One space, in civilised countries.

And there are also those uncivilised countries where it is no space after,
and those that require a space both before and after.

Quite some time ago I was amused that the editor of a series of reports
of the Argonne National Laboratory insisted on the Chicago style, meaning
that if a sentence ended with a quote the following terminator also should
be within the quote (whether it was part of the quote or not). Meaning
that for instance after the sentence:
the sign reads "stop."
you had no idea whether the period was on the sign or not. But it led to
a lot of confusion in a report about the Ada language. Sentences like:
for this we have the operator "+."
where the Ada name for the operator is "+".

Richard Tobin

Richard Heathfield said:
This is possibly one reason for the development of open punctuation, in
which the punctuating of abbreviations was dropped completely, as in "Mr
Foo" rather than "Mr. Foo", "BBC" rather than "B.B.C.", etc.

"Mr Foo" has been a standard for a long time: many references
recommend only using a full stop when the word has been truncated at
the end, which does not apply in this case since the "r" or "Mr"
represents the last letter of "Mister". "Mr J. Foo" on the other hand
would be so written.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin

"Mr Foo" has been a standard for a long time; many references
recommend only using a full stop when the word has been truncated at
the end, which does not apply in this case since the "r" or "Mr"
represents the last letter of "Mister". "Mr J. Foo" on the other hand
would be so written.

Whilst I disagree [...][/QUOTE]

My description is readily verified by examination of books such as
Fowler's Modern English Usage (under "periods in abbreviations", I
think), but of course whether it is a *good* standard is a matter of
opinion.

-- Richard

Richard Heathfield

Richard Tobin said:
"Mr Foo" has been a standard for a long time: many references
recommend only using a full stop when the word has been truncated at
the end, which does not apply in this case since the "r" or "Mr"
represents the last letter of "Mister". "Mr J. Foo" on the other hand
would be so written.

Whilst I disagree, this is so far off-topic as to be practically antipodal,
so I don't plan to say anything further on the matter.

jacob navia

Whilst I disagree [...]

My description is readily verified by examination of books such as
Fowler's Modern English Usage (under "periods in abbreviations", I
think), but of course whether it is a *good* standard is a matter of
opinion.

-- Richard[/QUOTE]

There isn't for English the equivalent of the Academie Francaise for
French, or the Royal Academy of Spain for spanish, etc? Is there a
standards body?

pete

jacob navia wrote:
There isn't for English the equivalent of the Academie Francaise for
French, or the Royal Academy of Spain for spanish, etc? Is there a
standards body?

No.
An English dictionary reflects popular usage,
not the other way around.

Richard Tobin

There isn't for English the equivalent of the Academie Francaise for
French, or the Royal Academy of Spain for spanish, etc? Is there a
standards body?

Certainly not. It's just one of several de facto standard ways of
punctuating English.

-- Richard

Joe Wright

jacob said:
Richard said:
Richard Heathfield said:
"Mr Foo" has been a standard for a long time; many references
recommend only using a full stop when the word has been truncated at
the end, which does not apply in this case since the "r" or "Mr"
represents the last letter of "Mister". "Mr J. Foo" on the other hand
would be so written.
Whilst I disagree [...]

My description is readily verified by examination of books such as
Fowler's Modern English Usage (under "periods in abbreviations", I
think), but of course whether it is a *good* standard is a matter of
opinion.

-- Richard

There isn't for English the equivalent of the Academie Francaise for
French, or the Royal Academy of Spain for spanish, etc? Is there a
standards body?
No. Proper English is defined by usage. How is the Academie doing? Did
they finally replace 'Parking' signs with 'Stationment des voitures'?
Hot Dog with Chien Chaud? Or is Franglais alive and well in Paris?

Mark McIntyre

There isn't for English the equivalent of the Academie Francaise for
French, or the Royal Academy of Spain for spanish, etc? Is there a
standards body?

Yes and no.

If you work in the business of publishing, there are _exceptionally_
strict rules about punctuation and these are codified in a set of
widely accepted standard texts suc as The Chicago Manual of Style.
There are equivalents published by the OUP and CUP which are also
frequently regarded as axiomatic.

Also publishing houses have 'house rules' which must be adhered to,
'correct' or not. Similar to how one has to adopt house style when
moving jobs as a programmer. Gosh, topicality.

Sadly, when you move into the world of teaching, nowadays it is more
about SATS scores and fundraising than about actually using textbooks,
so...
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Richard Bos

Dik T. Winter said:
Quite some time ago I was amused that the editor of a series of reports
of the Argonne National Laboratory insisted on the Chicago style, meaning
that if a sentence ended with a quote the following terminator also should
be within the quote (whether it was part of the quote or not). Meaning
that for instance after the sentence:
the sign reads "stop."
you had no idea whether the period was on the sign or not. But it led to
a lot of confusion in a report about the Ada language. Sentences like:
for this we have the operator "+."
where the Ada name for the operator is "+".

<http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/writing-style.html>, second
paragraph ff.

Richard

Al Balmer

Who knows? Unless someone cares to do a statistical study of the
X-Newsreader headers of a large number of posts, and trusts that
the newsreaders are not lying about what program they are, and
the Newsreader name is correlated to ability to change fonts... then
the matter is essentially undecideable, potentially amenable only to
polls with bad "self-selection" bias.

And even if someone bothers to look up my X-Newsreader header and
notices that it cannot change fonts, they would miss the fact that I'm
almost always running the newsreader inside a terminal window and that
the terminal window can be configured to any font I want.

But if anyone cares: *I* only use fixed-width for reading Usenet.
I scan too many messages in which the formatting is important
(e.g., code) to make it worth flipping back and forth between
fonts.

Even in this newsgroup, the percentage of messages where formatting is
essential is very small, and a single keystroke switches. Even for
code, fixed-width isn't usually necessary.