Social Analysis and Modeling for Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bishara Gabriel, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. I encourage feedback from all parties and especially those which would
    like to be directly involved (I may include you in the grant proposal
    and budget). Send me your comments!

    ------->

    Project Objective

    We seek to introduce the advantages of object-oriented programming to
    the realm of social sciences. We believe the fields thereof (economics,
    history, sociology, political science, etc.), have much to gain from
    OOP’s ability to represent social constructs. Particularly, we have
    found Python to be well suited to the rapid formulation of social models
    due to its syntactic simplicity, outstanding support for object-oriented
    programming, and comprehensive libraries. Unfortunately, most academics
    in the aforementioned fields are unaware of the capabilities, let alone
    applicability, of programmatic representation. Those who do are
    typically put off by the inadequacy and complexity of more traditional
    languages such as C and C++. We therefore propose to disseminate an
    understanding among these fields of the ability to develop social models
    and represent social constructs via the rapid modeling capabilities of
    the Python language. We seek to demonstrate how Python presents to them
    limited costs in production time via its language features, and to show
    how social models can be mentally approached in such a way that there
    exists a one-to-one correlation between their theoretical model and the
    Python equivalent.

    See the rest of the proposal at:
    http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bgabriel/Social_Analysis_&_Modeling_in_Python.pdf
    Bishara Gabriel, Sep 29, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Bishara Gabriel <> wrote:
    >I encourage feedback from all parties and especially those which would
    >like to be directly involved (I may include you in the grant proposal
    >and budget). Send me your comments!
    >
    >------->
    >
    >Project Objective
    >
    >We seek to introduce the advantages of object-oriented programming to
    >the realm of social sciences. We believe the fields thereof (economics,
    >history, sociology, political science, etc.), have much to gain from
    >OOP’s ability to represent social constructs. Particularly, we have
    >found Python to be well suited to the rapid formulation of social models
    >due to its syntactic simplicity, outstanding support for object-oriented
    >programming, and comprehensive libraries. Unfortunately, most academics
    >in the aforementioned fields are unaware of the capabilities, let alone
    >applicability, of programmatic representation. Those who do are
    >typically put off by the inadequacy and complexity of more traditional
    >languages such as C and C++. We therefore propose to disseminate an
    >understanding among these fields of the ability to develop social models
    >and represent social constructs via the rapid modeling capabilities of
    >the Python language. We seek to demonstrate how Python presents to them
    >limited costs in production time via its language features, and to show
    >how social models can be mentally approached in such a way that there
    >exists a one-to-one correlation between their theoretical model and the
    >Python equivalent.
    >
    >See the rest of the proposal at:
    >http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bgabriel/Social_Analysis_&_Modeling_in_Python.pdf

    I'm a bit sour about this.

    Academics are, of course, entirely justified when "put off by ... C
    and C++." I also entirely agree that Python is a great vehicle for
    all sorts of research. Moreover, the language of your charter is
    no more stiff than my own writing sometimes become. For all these
    reasons, your efforts have my sympathy.

    It deeply concerns me, though, that you imagine you might "introduce
    the advantages of object-oriented programming to the realm of social
    sciences." A quarter of a century ago, Simula enthusiasts were
    already demonstrating success at the same mission. This makes me
    wonder if your project might do well to research its foundations
    a few days more--or at least expressing them more judiciously.
    Cameron Laird, Sep 29, 2004

  3. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:37:08 -0400, Bishara Gabriel <> wrote:

    >I encourage feedback from all parties and especially those which would
    >like to be directly involved (I may include you in the grant proposal
    >and budget). Send me your comments!
    >
    >------->
    >
    >Project Objective
    >
    >We seek to introduce the advantages of object-oriented programming to
    >the realm of social sciences. We believe the fields thereof (economics,
    >history, sociology, political science, etc.), have much to gain from
    >OOP’s ability to represent social constructs. Particularly, we have
    >found Python to be well suited to the rapid formulation of social models
    >due to its syntactic simplicity, outstanding support for object-oriented
    >programming, and comprehensive libraries. Unfortunately, most academics
    >in the aforementioned fields are unaware of the capabilities, let alone
    >applicability, of programmatic representation. Those who do are
    >typically put off by the inadequacy and complexity of more traditional
    >languages such as C and C++. We therefore propose to disseminate an
    >understanding among these fields of the ability to develop social models
    >and represent social constructs via the rapid modeling capabilities of
    >the Python language. We seek to demonstrate how Python presents to them
    >limited costs in production time via its language features, and to show
    >how social models can be mentally approached in such a way that there
    >exists a one-to-one correlation between their theoretical model and the
    >Python equivalent.
    >
    >See the rest of the proposal at:
    >http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bgabriel/Social_Analysis_&_Modeling_in_Python.pdf

    I am sure Python can be a great tool, but why no citations re existing
    "social models" that you mention? If you propose to "... show
    how social models can be mentally approached in such a way that there
    exists a one-to-one correlation between their theoretical model and the
    Python equivalent," ISTM your proposal would sound more concrete if you
    pointed to a specific "theoretical model" as your choice for a
    how-to-do-it-with-Python demonstration.

    Also citations of related work, and why your project adds value (besides
    advertising our favorite language ;-)

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter
    Bengt Richter, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Marxian class analysis is particularly suited to this demonstration but
    in our demonstration model we will operate from multiple theoretical
    constructs, displaying the power of our method. The intent is to show
    how Python is well suited to social analysis and not the other way
    around. I hope this is clear.

    What particular realms are you referring to when you speak of adding value?

    Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

    Sincerely,
    Bishara Gabriel

    Bishara Gabriel, Sep 29, 2004
  5. The value we will add is embodied in the materials we will produce, the
    tools we will create, and the simulation we will construct. The
    simulation will be two layers: The underlying library or "simulation
    toolkit", and the graphical frontend to utilize that toolkit. The
    toolkit is the core and the graphical frontend is a demonstration of how
    one may utilize that core. The tools we create serve to form the
    framework which aids academics in social scientific exploration. This
    is value.

    Bishara Gabriel, Sep 30, 2004
  6. In article <>,

    Cameron Laird, Sep 30, 2004