Socket and Tkinter Problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Buschhardt, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Hallo,

    I have a problem with Tkinter and the module socket. In a console-window
    everything works fine, but in a Tkinter-window I can no more use the
    widgets. I found some other mails with this problem, but no solution (I
    understand really :)

    Here is my code:
    import win32ui, dde, string, time, os, sys, shutil
    from socket import *
    from Tkinter import *
    from tkFileDialog import *
    from tkMessageBox import *
    import win32com.client

    def sockelserver():
    while 1:
    HOST = 'localhost'
    PORT = 8578
    s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)
    s.bind((HOST,PORT))
    s.listen(1)
    log("wait...")
    hs,addr=s.accept()
    log("connected with: "+str(addr))
    while 1:
    data=hs.recv(1024)
    if not data:break
    if data=="'exit'":break
    erg='hallo'
    # erg=datawash(data)
    log("reiceved: "+data)
    hs.send(erg)
    hs.close()
    if data=="'exit'":break

    def log(nachricht):
    anzahl_lines=string.count(logtext.get(1.0,END),'\n')
    if anzahl_lines>2000:logtext.delete(0.0,2.0)
    logtext.insert(END,time.asctime()+'\t'+nachricht+'\n')
    logtext.see(END)
    root.update()

    root = Tk()
    midframe =Frame(root, borderwidth=2, relief=GROOVE)
    Label(midframe,text='Logg-Fenster').pack(side=TOP)
    scrollbar = Scrollbar(midframe, orient=VERTICAL)
    scrollbar.pack(fill=Y, side=RIGHT)
    logtext = Text(midframe)
    logtext.pack()
    logtext.config(yscrollcommand=scrollbar.set)
    scrollbar.config(command=logtext.yview)
    midframe.pack(padx=2, pady=2)
    botframe = Frame(root)
    botframe.pack(padx=2, pady=2)
    Button(botframe, text='Start',
    command=sockelserver).pack(side=LEFT,padx=2,pady=2)
    Button(botframe, text='Exit',
    command=root.destroy).pack(side=LEFT,padx=2,pady=2)
    root.title('DDE-Server')
    root.mainloop()

    --------------------------------------
    The function is easy. I want to start a server that waits for connection and
    answer with an result. The communication-protocol is printed out in a
    Text-window.

    Please help me out :)
    Cheers Thomas

    Thomas Buschhardt, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Thomas Buschhardt

    Tonino Guest

    hi,

    was wondering if you ever got a reply ?
    Did you mannage to sort this out ?

    I am wanting todo the same thing - just have a window that connects to
    a port and displays the data it receives from that port in the window?
    Thanks
    Tonino

    Tonino, Jan 18, 2005