Socket Error: Permission Denied

W. eWatson

I'm using IDLE with winxp. It seems every day I get into the Subject
above. Usually, after 5-8 minutes I get past it. A msg appearing at the
same time say, "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connect. ... possible
firewall problem."

A resource for this is <http://bugs.python.org/issue6941>. There a
number of choices. Perhaps the most appealing is:

adgprogramming: first, bring up your task manager and make sure there
are no python processes running. 2.6.x subprocesses can get stuck.
Then make sure that your firewall isn't blocking socket access to
localhost. Then restart IDLE. IDLE 3.1.1 may work for you since it
has the recent enhancement that allows multiple copies of IDLE to run
simultaneously, but it still needs interprocess access via sockets.

How would I know the which Python processes or subprocesses are running?
I can kill the main one, but that seems to do no good.
pythonw.exe.

Comments?

[...]

I'm using McAffee. I see it was pythonw.exe blocked in red. There are
several choices: Allow Access, Allow Outboubnd only
Block (current), Remove Prgrm permission, Learn More.

Outbound only seem reasonable, but why does the blocking keep returning
every many hours, or maybe when I reboot, which I've done several times
today?

W. eWatson

I decided to go with outbound. Now when I run the program, I get a long
of messabge about deprecations and NumpyTest will be removed in the
next release. please update code to nose or unittest.

W. eWatson

(corrected typos)
I decided to go with outbound in McAfee. Now when I run the program, I
get a long list of messages about deprecations and NumpyTest will be
removed in the next release. please update code to nose or unittest.