Socket Error: Permission Denied

Discussion in 'Python' started by W. eWatson, Feb 9, 2010.

  1. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    I'm using IDLE with winxp. It seems every day I get into the Subject
    above. Usually, after 5-8 minutes I get past it. A msg appearing at the
    same time say, "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connect. ... possible
    firewall problem."

    A resource for this is <http://bugs.python.org/issue6941>. There a
    number of choices. Perhaps the most appealing is:

    adgprogramming: first, bring up your task manager and make sure there
    are no python processes running. 2.6.x subprocesses can get stuck.
    Then make sure that your firewall isn't blocking socket access to
    localhost. Then restart IDLE. IDLE 3.1.1 may work for you since it
    has the recent enhancement that allows multiple copies of IDLE to run
    simultaneously, but it still needs interprocess access via sockets.

    How would I know the which Python processes or subprocesses are running?
    I can kill the main one, but that seems to do no good.
    pythonw.exe.

    Comments?

    W. eWatson, Feb 9, 2010

  2. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 2/8/2010 7:24 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
    > I'm using IDLE with winxp. It seems every day I get into the Subject
    > above. Usually, after 5-8 minutes I get past it. A msg appearing at the
    > same time say, "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connect. ... possible
    > firewall problem."
    >
    > A resource for this is <http://bugs.python.org/issue6941>. There a
    > number of choices. Perhaps the most appealing is:
    >
    > adgprogramming: first, bring up your task manager and make sure there
    > are no python processes running. 2.6.x subprocesses can get stuck.
    > Then make sure that your firewall isn't blocking socket access to
    > localhost. Then restart IDLE. IDLE 3.1.1 may work for you since it
    > has the recent enhancement that allows multiple copies of IDLE to run
    > simultaneously, but it still needs interprocess access via sockets.
    >
    > How would I know the which Python processes or subprocesses are running?
    > I can kill the main one, but that seems to do no good.
    > pythonw.exe.
    >
    > Comments?

    I'm using McAffee. I see it was pythonw.exe blocked in red. There are
    several choices: Allow Access, Allow Outboubnd only
    Block (current), Remove Prgrm permission, Learn More.

    Outbound only seem reasonable, but why does the blocking keep returning
    every many hours, or maybe when I reboot, which I've done several times
    today?

    W. eWatson, Feb 9, 2010

  3. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    I decided to go with outbound. Now when I run the program, I get a long
    of messabge about deprecations and NumpyTest will be removed in the
    next release. please update code to nose or unittest.

    W. eWatson, Feb 9, 2010
  4. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Re: Socket Error: Permission Denied (Firewall)

    (corrected typos)
    I decided to go with outbound in McAfee. Now when I run the program, I
    get a long list of messages about deprecations and NumpyTest will be
    removed in the next release. please update code to nose or unittest.

    W. eWatson, Feb 9, 2010