Socket error Windows getInputStream

Discussion in 'Java' started by vicky7909@rediffmail.com, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    Java version is 1.5.0_09. I am trying to connect from a Windows
    machine to another Windows machine using sockets . Getting a socket
    error for the following line. and throws EOFException

    Socket s = null;
    ObjectInputStream sin = null;
    ObjectOutputStream sout = null;

    s = new Socket( host, port );
    sout = new ObjectOutputStream( s.getOutputStream() );

    //write data to socket
    sout.writeObject( req );
    sout.flush();

    InputStream is = s.getInputStream() );
    sin = new ObjectInputStream( is ); // This line gives error

    If I step into ObjectInputStream, I see:

    public ObjectInputStream(InputStream in) throws IOException {
    verifySubclass();
    bin = new BlockDataInputStream(in);
    handles = new HandleTable(10);
    vlist = new ValidationList();
    enableOverride = false;
    readStreamHeader(); // This line gives error
    bin.setBlockDataMode(true);
    }

    However, the same code works when I try to connect from Linux(Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)) to Windows. Turned
    off Windows firewall but no luck.

    On the Windows Server I am trying to connect to a server agent waiting
    on port 2002 that helps me connect to Citrix running on that machine.
    The agent runs as a Windows service.

    What could be wrong here?

    Stack Trace

    java.io.EOFException
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream
    $PeekInputStream.readFully(ObjectInputStream.java:2228)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream
    $BlockDataInputStream.readShort(ObjectInputStream.java:2694)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(ObjectInputStream.java:
    761)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.<init>(ObjectInputStream.java:277)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
    202)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
    173)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:
    213)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:
    178)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:
    126)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:
    105)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
    107)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
    148)
    at
    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
    869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
    $Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:
    664)
    at
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:
    527)
    at
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:
    80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
    $ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    , Mar 18, 2008

  2. wrote:
> [...]
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
    > 148)
    > at
    > org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
    > 869)
    > at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
    > $Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:
    > 664)
    > at
    > org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:
    > 527)
    > at
    > org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:
    > 80)
    > at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
    > $ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

    I'm not sure what your problem is. I've done this quite a few times
    between Windows machines with no problem. If the communications is
    two-way it is usually necessary to create the ObjectOutputStream before
    the ObjectInputStream. That can cause some problems but it is usually
    hangs and not EOFExceptions.

    Probably the simplest thing you can do here is write a couple of test
    programs and see if you can see where the problem is actually happening.
    Sometimes removing all the other code gets you to the problem in the
    original code.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/linux/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 18, 2008

  3. EJP Guest

    wrote:
    > java.io.EOFException

    That means the other end has already closed the connection, or possibly
    an intermediate router has timed out.
    EJP, Mar 18, 2008

    On Mar 18, 6:31 pm, EJP <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > java.io.EOFException

    > That means the other end has already closed the connection, or possibly
    > an intermediate router has timed out.

    So how do I get around this? I was able to connect until day before
    and suddenly I started getting this error.

    Thanks for posting your answer in both forums
    , Mar 19, 2008

    On Mar 19, 11:21 am, wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 6:31 pm, EJP <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > > > java.io.EOFException

    > > That means the other end has already closed the connection, or possibly
    > > an intermediate router has timed out.

    > So how do I get around this? I was able to connect until day before
    > and suddenly I started getting this error.
    >
    > Thanks for posting your answer in both forums

    It worked after rebooting Windows a couple of times. I made no code
    change.
    , Mar 19, 2008
  6. wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 11:21 am, wrote:

    >>> That means the other end has already closed the connection, or possibly
    >>> an intermediate router has timed out.

    >> So how do I get around this? I was able to connect until day before
    >> and suddenly I started getting this error.
    >>
    >> Thanks for posting your answer in both forums

    > It worked after rebooting Windows a couple of times. I made no code
    > change.

    Ah Windows. Always something new.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/linux/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 19, 2008

    On Mar 19, 5:11 pm, Knute Johnson <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> So how do I get around this? I was able to connect until day before
    > >> and suddenly I started getting this error.

    > >> Thanks for posting your answer in both forums

    > > It worked after rebooting Windows a couple of times. I made no code
    > > change.

    > Ah Windows. Always something new.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Knute Johnson
    > email s/nospam/linux/

    I'm probably going to set-up an alternate dev. environment on Linux -
    just in case. I lost half a day.
    , Mar 20, 2008
  8. wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 5:11 pm, Knute Johnson <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> It worked after rebooting Windows a couple of times. I made no code
    >>> change.

    >> Ah Windows. Always something new.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Knute Johnson
    >> email s/nospam/linux/
    >>
    >> --

    > I'm probably going to set-up an alternate dev. environment on Linux -
    > just in case. I lost half a day.

    They both have problems and they are different. There are a lot of
    posts here "My xyz works on Linux but not on XP" or vice versa.

    I'm fighting one now where a server program running on a Windows machine
    gets stopped by random blow ups of svchost.exe. It will run for weeks
    without a problem and then stop two or three times in one day. It's
    enough to drive you nuts.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/linux/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 20, 2008
  9. Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:47:15 -0700 (PDT),

    >java.io.EOFException

    the other end closed the stream right away.

    You might want to use a protocol sniffer to see what the other end is
    up to.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sniffer.html
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Mar 20, 2008
  10. EJP Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > You might want to use a protocol sniffer to see what the other end is
    > up to.

    The other end, or somebody, send a FIN. No sniffing required really.
    EJP, Mar 20, 2008