    Does someone know where I can find those documents/tutorials ?

    Very thanks,
    K.

    le dahut, Jan 24, 2006

  2. le dahut

    Bryan Olson Guest

    le dahut wrote:

    > I've read the Gordon McMillan's "Socket Programming HOWTO"

    Just a few days ago, another participant in this group noted
    that code in Gordon McMillan's "Socket Programming HOWTO"
    does not work. He was right. The code is wrong.

    Currently, one can Google up "Python socket howto", and
    see the wrong code, in section "3 Using a Socket". I
    expect we will soon fix this bug. I've send e-mail to
    the author's address as presented in the howto. I've not
    yet received a reply, but eventually I'll escalate.

    The level of the error is astonishing: methods are missing
    the 'self' parameter. The 'self' parameter is unneeded in
    other languages, but basic in Python. The conclusion is
    inescapable: the code in the howto was never tested at all,
    nor reviewed by anyone competent in Python.

    I myself have posted code that was outright wrong, so I
    don't want to come down too hard on any particular author.
    Nevertheless, we who advocate Python have to be concerned
    that such a basic error appears in one of very few HowTo
    documents.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Jan 24, 2006