socket examples

le dahut

Hi,

I've read the Gordon McMillan's "Socket Programming HOWTO" and I'm
looking for other documents that show examples on how to write a socket
server that can answer multiple clients at the same time.
Does someone know where I can find those documents/tutorials ?

Very thanks,
K.

Bryan Olson

le said:
I've read the Gordon McMillan's "Socket Programming HOWTO"

Just a few days ago, another participant in this group noted
that code in Gordon McMillan's "Socket Programming HOWTO"
does not work. He was right. The code is wrong.

Currently, one can Google up "Python socket howto", and
see the wrong code, in section "3 Using a Socket". I
expect we will soon fix this bug. I've send e-mail to
the author's address as presented in the howto. I've not
yet received a reply, but eventually I'll escalate.

The level of the error is astonishing: methods are missing
the 'self' parameter. The 'self' parameter is unneeded in
other languages, but basic in Python. The conclusion is
inescapable: the code in the howto was never tested at all,
nor reviewed by anyone competent in Python.

I myself have posted code that was outright wrong, so I
don't want to come down too hard on any particular author.
Nevertheless, we who advocate Python have to be concerned
that such a basic error appears in one of very few HowTo
documents.