    Does anyone know more about this?

    Thanks,
    Wes
    Wes McKinney, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Tim Roberts wrote:
    > Wes McKinney <> wrote:
    >> I noticed the flag socket.MSG_WAITALL seems to have crept its way into
    >> Python 2.5 on Windows (it's in 2.5.4, but not in 2.5.1, not sure about
    >> intermediate releases). I do not think Windows supports it. It seems
    >> to cause some problems in some libraries (like Pyro) that use it if
    >> it's available in the socket module.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know more about this?

    > MSG_WAITALL is supported, starting with Windows Server 2003.
    >
    > It's a tough situation. Ideally, you'd want socket to remove that symbol
    > on the systems where it's not supported, but that's asking a lot.

    My installation doesn't have _socket.MSG_WAITALL, Wes, I wonder where yours is coming from?
    (Python 2.5.4 and 2.5.2, on Windows XP. On my Mac (OS X) it does have the flag, and
    it's working fine there.).

    --irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Wes McKinney

    Wes McKinney Guest

    On Sep 16, 3:53 pm, Irmen de Jong <> wrote:
    > Tim Roberts wrote:
    > > Wes McKinney <> wrote:
    > >> I noticed the flag socket.MSG_WAITALL seems to have crept its way into
    > >> Python 2.5 on Windows (it's in 2.5.4, but not in 2.5.1, not sure about
    > >> intermediate releases). I do not think Windows supports it. It seems
    > >> to cause some problems in some libraries (like Pyro) that use it if
    > >> it's available in the socket module.

    > >> Does anyone know more about this?

    > > MSG_WAITALL is supported, starting with Windows Server 2003.

    > > It's a tough situation.  Ideally, you'd want socket to remove that symbol
    > > on the systems where it's not supported, but that's asking a lot.

    > My installation doesn't have _socket.MSG_WAITALL, Wes, I wonder where yours is coming from?
    > (Python 2.5.4 and 2.5.2, on Windows XP.  On my Mac (OS X) it does have the flag, and
    > it's working fine there.).
    >
    > --irmen

    I am running what is apparently a custom Python 2.5.4 (part of the
    Enthought Python Distribution) which should be identical to the one on
    python.org, but is not. I contacted Enthought about the issue-- it can
    be worked around in the Pyro configuration for the time being.

    Thanks a lot for the debugging help,
    Wes
    Wes McKinney, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Wes McKinney wrote:

    > I am running what is apparently a custom Python 2.5.4 (part of the
    > Enthought Python Distribution) which should be identical to the one on
    > python.org, but is not. I contacted Enthought about the issue-- it can
    > be worked around in the Pyro configuration for the time being.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the debugging help,
    > Wes

    Alternatively you could 'fix' your python installation by editing the socket.py
    in your stdlib, so that it deletes the MSG_WAITALL symbol after importing it from
    the builtin _socket module.

    --irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Sep 17, 2009