socket programming (client-server)

Discussion in 'Python' started by ryan, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. ryan

    ryan Guest

    i have implemented a small client server model to do file transfer
    over a LAN network.

    It work with some machines on the network and on others it doesnt.
    when i run the server.py file in some machine then it pops up a
    windows security alert.

    The message is as follows:

    Do you want to keep blocking this program?
    there are three options below it. 1. Keep Blocking 2. Unblock 3. Ask
    Me later.

    I selected the option unblock.Even then the client and server are not
    able to communicate.
    I get a error saying that:-

    socket.error: (10060, 'Operation timed out')

    I guess its a firewall problem... How do i go abt it?????
    any help?

    ryan, Oct 22, 2008

  2. ryan

    Larry Bates Guest

    ryan wrote:
    > i have implemented a small client server model to do file transfer
    > over a LAN network.
    >
    > It work with some machines on the network and on others it doesnt.
    > when i run the server.py file in some machine then it pops up a
    > windows security alert.
    >
    > The message is as follows:
    >
    > Do you want to keep blocking this program?
    > there are three options below it. 1. Keep Blocking 2. Unblock 3. Ask
    > Me later.
    >
    > I selected the option unblock.Even then the client and server are not
    > able to communicate.
    > I get a error saying that:-
    >
    > socket.error: (10060, 'Operation timed out')
    >
    > I guess its a firewall problem... How do i go abt it?????
    > any help?

    Yes it is a firewall problem. To make sure, turn off the firewall on a machine
    that doesn't work and try the application again. If that works, put an
    exception in the firewall for your application's port.

    -Larry

    Larry Bates, Oct 23, 2008