socket programming in C

ballpointpenthief

Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
= = = = == = ==== = = =====

I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

Using lcc-win32:
I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.

Using dev-c++:
I get linker errors for some commands.

I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike} &
{socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike} that I found on two
tutorials.

Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.

Thanks, Matt

jacob navia

ballpointpenthief a écrit :
Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
= = = = == = ==== = = =====

I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

Using lcc-win32:
I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.

Using dev-c++:
I get linker errors for some commands.

I suspect that my lack of knowledge as to what header files and what to
put in the linker is the cause of my grief.
The code is straightforward. {socket(), connect(), and suchlike} &
{socket(), bind(), listen(), accept() and suchlike} that I found on two
tutorials.

Where to go? I've wasted quite a lot of time.

Thanks, Matt

Hi

The first thing to do is read the documentation... isn't it?

Download from the lcc-win32 site:
http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf
and read the Network Programming part, beginning with
section 4.7: Client/Server programming using sockets.

When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32
is not on topic here (this group is about the C language)
pose any further questions in the newsgroup
comp.compilers.lcc

jacob

Keith Thompson

ballpointpenthief said:
Is this group the correct place to ask this question?
No.

Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
= = = = == = ==== = = =====

I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

Using lcc-win32:
I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.

Using dev-c++:
I get linker errors for some commands.

Standard C has no support for sockets; they're supported (if at all)
through add-on libraries. Since both implementations you mention are
Windows-specific (I know lcc-win32 is; I *think* dev-c++ is), you
might try comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Or, as jacob
mentioned, there's a comp.compilers.lcc group where general questions
about using lcc-win32 seem to be considered topical.

Chuck F.

ballpointpenthief said:

Is this group the correct place to ask this question?

Since no-one has answered me as yet I will post it here anyway.
= = = = == = ==== = = =====

I'm trying to program sockets in C, very trivial usage.

Using lcc-win32:
I get some compilation error about #include being to deeply nested.

Using dev-c++:
I get linker errors for some commands.

If you had posted it here you would have been told it was
off-topic. At any rate, try a group that deals with your system,
or comp.compilers.lcc (for the lcc operation)

Chuck F.

jacob said:
ballpointpenthief a écrit : .... snip ...

The first thing to do is read the documentation... isn't it?

Download from the lcc-win32 site:
http://www.q-software-solutions.de/pub/tutorial.pdf and read the
Network Programming part, beginning with section 4.7:
Client/Server programming using sockets.

When you understand that, you can go further. Since lcc-win32 is
not on topic here (this group is about the C language) pose any
further questions in the newsgroup comp.compilers.lcc

Well done Jacob. This should bring no topicality complaints.

Richard Bos

Chuck F. said:
Well done Jacob. This should bring no topicality complaints.

Right. I know I've called Jacob various things in the past, but this,
Jacob, was one I can quite agree with.

Richard

Kenny McCormack

Right. I know I've called Jacob various things in the past, but this,
Jacob, was one I can quite agree with.

Good doggie, good doggie.

I'll bet he is soooooooo thrilled.