Socket programming in Web services

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by rbfigueira, Apr 13, 2009.

  1. rbfigueira

    rbfigueira Guest

    Hi,

    Currently I have 2 applications that are connected to each other using
    sockets (c# windows forms [client] and c# Windows Service [Server]) with none
    protection. :// The connection is made using socket (TCP/IP Port) and we send
    and receive one serialize class with data. Now, there is a need to migrate to
    Web services and put all architecture secure as possible.

    Current (XP server machines):

    CLIENT - [Application 1 - c# windows forms]
    | Connection using Sockets |
    SERVER -[Application 1 - c# Windows Service] –Waiting for the connection]
    (several machines with OS – XP, W2000 and NT) The “Server†is one special
    machine (with specific firmware) with some OS that we can’t change. The c#
    Windows Service communicate with one DLL written in C++ that make the bridge
    between the service and the information (send/receive) from the idle firmware.

    We must try to achieve -
    CLIENT - [Application 1 - c# windows forms [client] ]
    [ WebService (with all business and sockets complexity)]
    | Connection using Sockets |
    SERVER -[Application 1 - c# Windows Service [Server] –Waiting for the
    connection (several machines with OS – XP, W2000 and NT) The “Server†is one
    special machine (with specific firmware) with some OS that we can’t change.
    The c# Windows Service communicate with one DLL written in C++ that make the
    bridge between the service and the information (send/receive) from the idle
    firmware.

    I am not sure of the complexity involved (using sockets in webServices). I
    would like to know what approach I should take, for secure all the process.
    The data is very important and confidential.

    Can you give some links of book that can help doing this job ?

    For example I know about sockets being used to send and receive messages.
    Basically a function (for an application) in which I open sockets and send
    and receive data. So while creating web services, what is necessary to change
    to replace the socket functions etc.

    I need some advice to proceed.

    Note: If you note to complicate all this, I must to find one way to
    communicate with the servers (several machines with OS – XP, W2000 and NT). I
    am using c# Windows Service in the servers with XP… but I can´t reuse that
    service to the NT!!. Properly I need to code C++ in that machine. Ideas?

    Thanks
    rbfigueira, Apr 13, 2009