socket receive file does not match sent file

zelzel.zsu

I wrote two simple socket program.
one for sending a file and the other for receiving the file.
but when I run it, a curious thing happened.
The received file was samller that the sent file.

$ cat receivefile.py
#!/usr/local/bin/python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import socket
import time
import string
import sys

sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
sock.bind(('', 9000))
sock.listen(5)

try:
while True:
# 1. client connect, open file
newSocket, address = sock.accept()
print "Connected from ", address

filename = sys.argv[1]
f=open( filename, 'wb')

# 2. recieve data
while True:
data = newSocket.recv(8192)
if not data: break
f.write(data)
# 3.close file
f.close()
print filename, "Received\n"

finally:
sock.close()

$ cat putfile.py
#!/usr/local/bin/python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import sys
import socket
import string

# "Usage: prog file hostip"

filename = sys.argv[1]
host = sys.argv[2]

f=open(filename, 'rb')
s.connect((host, 9000))

while True:
data = f.read(8192)
if not data: break
else:
s.send(data)
f.close()
s.close()
print filename, " Sent!\n"

$ python receivefile.py save_apache_1.33.tar.gz
$ python putfile.py apache_1.33.tar.gz localhost

The result is : save_apache_1.33.tar.gz 's size was smaller then the
apache_1.33.tar.gz file

What is the cause of the problem, can anyone tell me?
Thanks.

zelzel.zsu

when I test the two program in the same OS,
i mean from a redhat 9 OS to a redhat 9 OS,
It's ok. receivefile match sent file.

But when I run receiver on a Redhat 9,
and send file from a windows XP,
the received file's size is randomized.

May be that's where the problem is.

Irmen de Jong

when I test the two program in the same OS,
i mean from a redhat 9 OS to a redhat 9 OS,
It's ok. receivefile match sent file.

But when I run receiver on a Redhat 9,
and send file from a windows XP,
the received file's size is randomized.

May be that's where the problem is.

No. Read Jean-Paul's reply.

--Irmen

Fredrik Lundh

while True:
data = f.read(8192)
if not data: break
else:
s.send(data)
What is the cause of the problem, can anyone tell me?

using sendall instead of send should fix this. see the library reference for
details:

send( string[, flags])
Send data to the socket. The socket must be connected to a remote
socket. The optional flags argument has the same meaning as for recv()
above. Returns the number of bytes sent. Applications are responsible
for checking that all data has been sent; if only some of the data was
transmitted, the application needs to attempt delivery of the
remaining data.

sendall( string[, flags])

Send data to the socket. The socket must be connected to a remote
socket. The optional flags argument has the same meaning as for recv()
above. Unlike send(), this method continues to send data from string
until either all data has been sent or an error occurs. None is
returned on success. On error, an exception is raised, and there is no
way to determine how much data, if any, was successfully sent.

</F>

zelzel.zsu

Thanks Fredrik Lundh,
This is great!