    I checked out line 12 in Socket.pm:
    use Socket 1.3;

    Where do I upgrade this from?

    Sean Berry, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Sean Berry wrote:

    > Where do I upgrade this from?

    Socket is a core module - that is, it's a standard part of Perl. The current
    5.8.4 release of Perl comes with Socket 1.77. The oldest Perl I have right
    now is 5.6.0, which is over four years old. It comes with Socket 1.72. On
    CPAN I see a Socket-1.5.tar.gz that's dated June '96.

    What Perl version to you have? What does 'perl -v' say?

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Sean Berry

    Sean Berry Guest

    # perl -v

    This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

    Sean Berry, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Sean Berry wrote:

    > This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

    Ouch. That's over five years old. :-(

    Well, I'll assume that you have a good reason for using last century's
    Perl... Maybe you're doing regression testing or something. You might try
    installing the standalone Socket module from CPAN:

    http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/Socket/Socket-1.5.tar.gz

    It's not the latest, but at least it's newer than 1.3. I don't see any newer
    versions available separately - like I said, it's part of the Perl core
    now.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Sean Berry

    Sean Berry Guest

    Are there any known issues to be aware of when upgrading from 5 to 5.8? 5
    and 5.8 are ported on my FreeBSD.

    Sean Berry, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Sean Berry wrote:

    > Are there any known issues to be aware of when upgrading from 5 to 5.8? 5
    > and 5.8 are ported on my FreeBSD.

    I don't know about FreeBSD specifically - I've used Perl for a long time, on
    a variety of other systems, but not *BSD.

    You can review what's changed by looking at the perldelta* documents -
    they're online at <http://perldoc.com>, so you can view them without having
    to install Perl first.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004
  7. Sean Berry

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Sean Berry wrote:

    >This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

    Perl 5.005_04 was released a few months ago.

    <http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/01/181242>

    I'm not sure what upgrading would buy *you*.

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, Apr 29, 2004
  8. Sean Berry

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Sean Berry wrote:

    >Are there any known issues to be aware of when upgrading from 5 to 5.8? 5
    >and 5.8 are ported on my FreeBSD.

    Yes. Programs that rely on the old version of perl, couldbreak.

    Best is to install the new version in a different location, continue to
    use the old version for those programs, and develop for the newer
    version.

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, Apr 29, 2004