sockets and pipes and bad results

Marilyn Davis

Hello Python Gurus,

I'm having a problem when writing to a socket. It only happens when I
am also doing some piping into exim, my MTA. Like this:

../test1.py

exim pipe descriptors: 7 6 9
exim.py piped into 6
exim closed pipes: 6 7 9

xfer_pop.py: ['from test1:marilyn1', 'test', 2]

XferMessage # 139.
xfer_pop socket before exim pipe: 6
exim pipe descriptors: 8 7 10
exim.py piped into 7
xfer_pop.py socket in loop: 6
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./test1.py", line 254, in ?
exec(x)
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "./test1.py", line 143, in marilyn1
xfer_pop.main(['from test1:marilyn1', 'test', 2])
File "/b/bmail/scripts/xfer_pop.py", line 446, in main
popee.run()
File "/b/bmail/scripts/xfer_pop.py", line 338, in run
XferMessage(self, (str(msg)))
File "/b/bmail/scripts/xfer_pop.py", line 70, in __init__
more = self.popper.remote.recv(BLOCK)
socket.error: (9, 'Bad file descriptor')

---

My test1.py can call xfer_pop.py lots of times, piping into exim many
times each call, and it will always be successful, UNLESS test1.py
makes a call to exim.py first. Once that happens, a subsequent call
to xfer_pop.py crashes as above.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause or remedy?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Marilyn Davis