Sockets question

John

Hi,

One of the exercises in front of me is:
"Write a server in perl that will send the client a sleepy string of
"ZZZZZZZZZ" whenever it connects using port 54321 from the same host using a
socket in the UNIX domain."

Can someone possibly re-phrase the question? I have no idea about sockets -
just found a chapter on it in Prog. Perl but have not read it yet :(.
Any links out there I can get ideas/learn from?

Thanks in advance.

John W. Krahn

John said:
One of the exercises in front of me is:
"Write a server in perl that will send the client a sleepy string of
"ZZZZZZZZZ" whenever it connects using port 54321 from the same host using a
socket in the UNIX domain."

Can someone possibly re-phrase the question? I have no idea about sockets -
just found a chapter on it in Prog. Perl but have not read it yet :(.
Any links out there I can get ideas/learn from?

perldoc perlipc

John

pkent

John said:
One of the exercises in front of me is:
"Write a server in perl that will send the client a sleepy string of
"ZZZZZZZZZ" whenever it connects using port 54321 from the same host using a
socket in the UNIX domain."

Hang on, aren't Unix domain sockets (when named) things on your
filesystem, and therefore there is no port number? TCP and UDP
sockets/connections have port numbers associated with them, but I
thought Unix domain sockets didn't. I may have missed something in the
perlipc page though, as I don't really use these kinds of sockets.