    just found a chapter on it in Prog. Perl but have not read it yet :(.
    Any links out there I can get ideas/learn from?

    Thanks in advance.

    John, Oct 8, 2003

  2. John wrote:

    > One of the exercises in front of me is:
    > "Write a server in perl that will send the client a sleepy string of
    > "ZZZZZZZZZ" whenever it connects using port 54321 from the same host using a
    > socket in the UNIX domain."
    >
    > Can someone possibly re-phrase the question? I have no idea about sockets -
    > just found a chapter on it in Prog. Perl but have not read it yet :(.
    > Any links out there I can get ideas/learn from?

    perldoc perlipc

    John
    --
    use Perl;
    program

    John W. Krahn, Oct 8, 2003

  3. John

    pkent Guest

    In article <_QTgb.141720$>,
    "John" <> wrote:

    > One of the exercises in front of me is:
    > "Write a server in perl that will send the client a sleepy string of
    > "ZZZZZZZZZ" whenever it connects using port 54321 from the same host using a
    > socket in the UNIX domain."

    Hang on, aren't Unix domain sockets (when named) things on your
    filesystem, and therefore there is no port number? TCP and UDP
    sockets/connections have port numbers associated with them, but I
    thought Unix domain sockets didn't. I may have missed something in the
    perlipc page though, as I don't really use these kinds of sockets.

    Remove the tea to reply

    pkent, Oct 9, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    "John W. Krahn" <> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    > >
    > > One of the exercises in front of me is:
    > > "Write a server in perl that will send the client a sleepy string of
    > > "ZZZZZZZZZ" whenever it connects using port 54321 from the same host

    using a
    > > socket in the UNIX domain."
    > >
    > > Can someone possibly re-phrase the question? I have no idea about

    sockets -
    > > just found a chapter on it in Prog. Perl but have not read it yet :(.
    > > Any links out there I can get ideas/learn from?

    > perldoc perlipc
    >

    > John
    > --
    > use Perl;
    > program
    > fulfillment

    Looking at it now tho it's a bit like black magic atm - thanks :)

    John, Oct 14, 2003