sockets, where can I find documentation?

John Pote

Hi all,

I want to use python on a server to access incoming TCP port accesses. So I
need to use the socket interface which is new to me. To quote the Py Library
Reference "7.2 socket -- Low-level networking interface":-

For an introduction to socket programming (in C), see the following papers:
An Introductory 4.3BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial, by Stuart
Sechrest and An Advanced 4.3BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial, by
Samuel J. Leffler et al, both in the Unix Programmer's Manual, Supplementary
Documents 1 (sections PS1:7 and PS1:8). The platform-specific reference
material for the various socket-related system calls are also a valuable
source of information on the details of socket semantics. For Unix, refer to
the manual pages; for Windows, see the WinSock (or Winsock 2) specification.
For IPv6-ready APIs, readers may want to refer to RFC 2553 titled Basic
Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6.

Where can I get the various papers mentioned in the manual? And as I like
books sitting on the shelf can someone recommend a book on sockets.

many thanks,

John Pote

Mc Osten

Where can I get the various papers mentioned in the manual? And as I like
books sitting on the shelf can someone recommend a book on sockets.

Unix Network Programming by Stevens