Sockets with unsigned applets

Lasse Hassing

Hi,

I'm working on a small java game applet that will need to connect to a
gameserver. The game server is different from the web server hosting
the applet.
From what I've read then the only way of doing this is by getting a
certificate and signing the applet - is this correct?
Or is there anyway to do this without a certificate?

Thanks,

BarryNL

Lasse said:
Hi,

I'm working on a small java game applet that will need to connect to a
gameserver. The game server is different from the web server hosting
the applet.
From what I've read then the only way of doing this is by getting a
certificate and signing the applet - is this correct?
Or is there anyway to do this without a certificate?

Thanks,

Signed or otherwise, you need to get the owner of the remote machine to
grant the relevant permissions to your applet. Exactly how this is done
depends on what version of the JVM the browser is using.

If this is going to be something generally available on the internet I'd
find a way to serve the applet from the gameserver, or it will never
work. If you have control over your users, then maybe it's not such a
problem.

Andrew Thompson

"BarryNL"...
| Lasse Hassing wrote:
| > I'm working on a small java game applet that will need to connect to a
| > gameserver. The game server is different from the web server hosting
| > the applet.
| > From what I've read then the only way of doing this is by getting a
| > certificate and signing the applet - is this correct?
| > Or is there anyway to do this without a certificate?
| Signed or otherwise, you need to get the owner of the remote machine to
| grant the relevant permissions to your applet.

Exactly. You can roll-your-own certificate
as I have done for the PhySci project.

To the OP. Give my PhySci download a go
...if that would be acceptable to your users,
you are set. Just use Webstart.