    the applet.
    From what I've read then the only way of doing this is by getting a
    certificate and signing the applet - is this correct?
    Or is there anyway to do this without a certificate?

    Thanks,
    --
    Lasse Hassing, www.sinf.org

    Lasse Hassing, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Lasse Hassing

    BarryNL Guest

    Lasse Hassing wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm working on a small java game applet that will need to connect to a
    > gameserver. The game server is different from the web server hosting
    > the applet.
    > From what I've read then the only way of doing this is by getting a
    > certificate and signing the applet - is this correct?
    > Or is there anyway to do this without a certificate?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Signed or otherwise, you need to get the owner of the remote machine to
    grant the relevant permissions to your applet. Exactly how this is done
    depends on what version of the JVM the browser is using.

    If this is going to be something generally available on the internet I'd
    find a way to serve the applet from the gameserver, or it will never
    work. If you have control over your users, then maybe it's not such a
    problem.

    BarryNL, Jan 26, 2004

  3. "BarryNL"...
    | Lasse Hassing wrote:
    | > I'm working on a small java game applet that will need to connect to a
    | > gameserver. The game server is different from the web server hosting
    | > the applet.
    | > From what I've read then the only way of doing this is by getting a
    | > certificate and signing the applet - is this correct?
    | > Or is there anyway to do this without a certificate?
    | Signed or otherwise, you need to get the owner of the remote machine to
    | grant the relevant permissions to your applet.

    Exactly. You can roll-your-own certificate
    as I have done for the PhySci project.

    To the OP. Give my PhySci download a go
    ...if that would be acceptable to your users,
    you are set. Just use Webstart.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 26, 2004