SocketServer.py on win32

Daniel Greenblatt

Has anyone used the SocketServer.py module successfully on windows?

I don't know if I'm doing something terribly wrong, here but I use a
SocketServer in my app, running it in a seperate thread, and get very
finnicky behavior on my windows XP machine (while the code runs fine
on other *nix platforms). Sometimes my app freezes as soon as the
socketserver thread is started, other times it is freezes once it
receives a connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I.e. is
it my code, or just one of those windows things? If it is a win.
thing, are there any reasonable workarounds?

Thanks in advance,
Dan Greenblatt

Colin Brown

Daniel Greenblatt said:
Has anyone used the SocketServer.py module successfully on windows?

...Sometimes my app freezes as soon as the
socketserver thread is started, other times it is freezes once it
receives a connection.

I have been caught out under Windows running Python tasks interactively.
If you click in the command shell window (ie the title line says Select...)
then your python application will hang awaiting keyboard input!

Colin Brown
PyNZ

Daniel Greenblatt

Hmmm. This socketserver is actually a small part of a much bigger
python app, running in a seperate thread. I haven't experimented with
running it interactively.

Thanks,
Dan

Colin Brown

Daniel Greenblatt said:
Has anyone used the SocketServer.py module successfully on windows?
... Sometimes my app freezes as soon as the
socketserver thread is started, other times it is freezes once it
receives a connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly it would help to narrow the problem down a little. Have you
tried connecting via a TCP proxy server? I have tried atcp2log and
although it is a bit quirky it did help:

http://www.kmint21.com/atcp2log/

There is also TCPWatch although I have not had the need to try it yet:

http://hathaway.freezope.org/Software/TCPWatch

Colin Brown
PyNZ