    Thank you for your assistance.

    Best regards,
    Martin
    Martin Schneider, Sep 14, 2004

  2. "Martin Schneider" <> wrote:

    > I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that
    > can be displayed endlessly.

    If you are looking for a script, try comp.lang.javascript after checking
    its FAQ resources.

    > The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering

    Indeed.

    > and always displays a large gap between repeating the text.

    You can play with the attributes of <marquee>, e.g.
    truespeed="true" scrolldelay="18" scrollamount="1"
    And making the font simple, like Verdana, might help, making the movement
    _look_ smoother.

    But regarding the gap, I guess the best you can do in HTML is to enter a
    few copies of the string into the element content:
    <marquee ...>This is kewl. This is kewl. This is kewl.</marquee>
    repeating the string as needed. Then the odds are that the user leaves
    before the gap appears.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 14, 2004

  3. Martin Schneider

    Jim Higson Guest

    Martin Schneider wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that can
    > be displayed endlessly.
    >
    > The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
    > large gap between repeating the text.
    >
    > Hope, I can make myself clear :)
    >
    > Thank you for your assistance.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Martin

    I think you would be better off using javascript for this, rather than
    special MS-only markup, especially since the topic of creating scrolling
    banners etc is well covered on several websites.

    Try here for example
    http://developer.irt.org/script/scroll.htm
    Jim Higson, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Martin Schneider

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Martin Schneider" <> wrote in

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that
    > can be displayed endlessly.
    >
    > The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays
    > a large gap between repeating the text.

    Is this the best way to provide information to the user? The marquee will
    never scroll at the user's reading speed.

    Marquees are useful for outdoor and indoor public displays that are only
    one line high. Is that true about your Web page?
    Sam Hughes, Sep 14, 2004
  5. On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:59:13 +0200, Martin Schneider wrote:

    > The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
    > large gap between repeating the text.

    Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | **
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    (** Drop "pants" to reply by email)
    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Martin Schneider

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Jeffrey
    Silverman says...
    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:59:13 +0200, Martin Schneider wrote:
    >
    > > The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
    > > large gap between repeating the text.

    > Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

    Them.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
    Hywel, Sep 14, 2004
  7. Martin Schneider

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Jeffrey
    > Silverman says...
    >> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:59:13 +0200, Martin Schneider wrote:
    >>
    >> > The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays
    >> > large gap between repeating the text.

    >> Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

    > Them.

    The aliens.

    http://www.ncbuy.com/news/2004-09-13/1010557.html

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Sep 14, 2004
  8. On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:29:04 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:59:13 +0200, Martin Schneider wrote:
    >
    >> The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
    >> large gap between repeating the text.

    > Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

    And, to further clarify (Quoted from the HTML Validator at W3.org):
    This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Strict!

    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

    1.

    Line 7, column 8: element "MARQUEE" undefined

    <marquee>

    Here is the link to the file I validated:
    <http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/marquee.html>

    And here is the link to the Validator's processing of this file:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fengineering.jhu.edu%2F%7Ejeff%2Fmarquee.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29>

    Later...

    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 15, 2004
  9. Martin Schneider

    Neal Guest

    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:59:13 +0200, Martin Schneider wrote:
    >
    >> The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
    >> large gap between repeating the text.

    > Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

    Clearly the OP has expressed that marquee is not part of the W3C
    reccomendation (which really isn't a standard to begin with) by adding the
    modifier "Microsoft".

    Here standard is being used in its sense of "typical, run-of-the-mill",
    not implying it belongs to some ISO standard.
    Neal, Sep 15, 2004
  10. "Sam Hughes" <> wrote in message
    > Is this the best way to provide information to the user? The marquee will
    > never scroll at the user's reading speed.

    Customer's idea :)

    Best regards,
    Martin
    Martin Schneider, Sep 15, 2004
  11. "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > Clearly the OP has expressed that marquee is not part of the W3C
    > reccomendation (which really isn't a standard to begin with) by adding the
    > modifier "Microsoft".
    >
    > Here standard is being used in its sense of "typical, run-of-the-mill",
    > not implying it belongs to some ISO standard.

    Couldn't have put it any clearer :)

    Best regards,
    Martin
    Martin Schneider, Sep 15, 2004