Soft and endless marquee script

Martin Schneider

Hi!

I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that can be
displayed endlessly.

The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
large gap between repeating the text.

Hope, I can make myself clear :)

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Martin

Jukka K. Korpela

Martin Schneider said:
I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that
can be displayed endlessly.

If you are looking for a script, try comp.lang.javascript after checking
its FAQ resources.
The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering
Indeed.

and always displays a large gap between repeating the text.

You can play with the attributes of <marquee>, e.g.
truespeed="true" scrolldelay="18" scrollamount="1"
And making the font simple, like Verdana, might help, making the movement
_look_ smoother.

But regarding the gap, I guess the best you can do in HTML is to enter a
few copies of the string into the element content:
<marquee ...>This is kewl. This is kewl. This is kewl.</marquee>
repeating the string as needed. Then the odds are that the user leaves
before the gap appears.

Jim Higson

Martin said:
Hi!

I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that can
be displayed endlessly.

The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
large gap between repeating the text.

Hope, I can make myself clear :)

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Martin

I think you would be better off using javascript for this, rather than
special MS-only markup, especially since the topic of creating scrolling
banners etc is well covered on several websites.

Try here for example
http://developer.irt.org/script/scroll.htm

Sam Hughes

Hi!

I am looking for a script that creates a soft scrolling marquee that
can be displayed endlessly.

The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays
a large gap between repeating the text.

Is this the best way to provide information to the user? The marquee will
never scroll at the user's reading speed.

Marquees are useful for outdoor and indoor public displays that are only
one line high. Is that true about your Web page?

Jeffrey Silverman

The standard Microsoft <marquee> tag is stuttering and always displays a
large gap between repeating the text.

Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

Jeffrey Silverman

Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

And, to further clarify (Quoted from the HTML Validator at W3.org):
This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Strict!

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

1.

Line 7, column 8: element "MARQUEE" undefined

<marquee>

Here is the link to the file I validated:
<http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/marquee.html>

And here is the link to the Validator's processing of this file:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...automatically)&doctype=(detect+automatically)>

Later...

Neal

Standard?? Is <marquee> standard? According to who?

Clearly the OP has expressed that marquee is not part of the W3C
reccomendation (which really isn't a standard to begin with) by adding the
modifier "Microsoft".

Here standard is being used in its sense of "typical, run-of-the-mill",
not implying it belongs to some ISO standard.

Martin Schneider

Sam Hughes said:
Is this the best way to provide information to the user? The marquee will
never scroll at the user's reading speed.

Customer's idea :)

Best regards,
Martin

Martin Schneider

Neal said:
Clearly the OP has expressed that marquee is not part of the W3C
reccomendation (which really isn't a standard to begin with) by adding the
modifier "Microsoft".

Here standard is being used in its sense of "typical, run-of-the-mill",
not implying it belongs to some ISO standard.

Couldn't have put it any clearer :)

Best regards,
Martin