    so we could distinguish between components according to their external
    architecture.

    any opinion?
    Aned, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Aned

    Chris Smith Guest

    Aned <> wrote:
    > In my opinion, I believe that a component should have two kinds of
    > architectures,
    > - internal architecture: this reflects the internal components,
    > connectors, and configuration.
    > - external architecture: this indicates that the component should
    > conform to its interface. hence its interface has certain architecture,
    > this will be the component's external architecture.
    >
    > so we could distinguish between components according to their external
    > architecture.
    >
    > any opinion?

    I might have an opinion, but I'm still trying to figure out what you
    said.

    Certainly design is hierarchical, in that each piece of the design at
    the top level may be further designed. So at a given level, you might
    identify a component and says that it has "internal" and "external"
    design, by which you would mean the levels of design directly above and
    below the existence of this component. Sometimes the word
    "architecture" is used to apply to software design at the top level.
    Sometimes it means other things, depending on to whom you are speaking.
    Of course, the word "component" itself is rather ambiguous, too.

    So, if you clarify your meaning, you might get more (and more useful)

    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Aned

    Aned Guest

    I regard components as source code fragments with interface. So the
    internal architecture of a component will be the sub-components, and
    their communications. while the external architecture of a component is
    its interface. In fact I distinguish between two types of interfaces.
    - functional interface: this is responsible of acquiring and providing
    services.
    - architectural interface: , this is my interest actually, this is
    responsible of allowing a component to be plugged automatically to a
    certain architecture. for example, Applet has 4 methods that need to be
    satisfied in order to be able to work under internet explorer. I'd
    define the "architectural interface" as the interface that define the
    life cycle methods of a component.

    so, what I want to achieve is to use component interface(i.e.
    architectural interface) to distinguish between components (i.e.
    Classify components). I wonder if this kind of classification is
    effective for reusing components?
    Aned, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Thomas Weidenfeller, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Aned

    Shin Guest

    There are quite a lot plug-in architectures. You can certainly
    classify them accordingly. But what do you mean by "reusing"?
    Classification alone can not improve reusability.

    -Shin
    Shin, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Aned

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Aned wrote:
    > > any opinion?

    > comp.lang.java.advocacy is the next door to the right. F'up set.

    Eh !? What are you talking about ? Aned's post wasn't any form of advocacy.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Dec 6, 2005