Software design

Discussion in 'Java' started by Shinya Koizumi, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Does anyone know any resource about how to make a good software design
    document?
    Shinya Koizumi, Jan 21, 2007

  2. There are lot of books available in the net that too depends on the
    technology

    If u wan to design an OOPS application, U need to go through the Book
    Object Oriented Analysis and Design by Brady Booch

    If U wan to design specific to Java, then u can go through the Book
    Java Design Patterns...

    Regards
    Moin

    Proton Projects - Moin, Jan 22, 2007

  3. On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:14:07 -0800, Shinya Koizumi <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know any resource about how to make a good software design
    > document?

    For the database documentation section (in scenarios where SQL servers
    such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc., are a part of the project), I
    recommend an excellent free, open source, data modelling tool called Druid
    (which, notably, was written 100% in Java):

    Druid: The Database Manager
    http://druid.sourceforge.net/
    (or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/druid/ )

    This tool has facilities that allow you to document everything right down
    to the individual columns, procedures, etc., separately, and will generate
    a PDF complete with one or more customized E/R views. [Along with the use
    of long, complicated vocabulary, an interesting looking E/R view will
    impress most dysfunctional management types sufficiently to obtain
    approval for your design.]

    --
    Randolf Richardson -
    The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
    Randolf Richardson, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Shinya Koizumi

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Proton Projects - Moin wrote:
    > There are lot of books available in the net that too depends on the
    > technology
    >

    > If u wan to design an OOPS application, U need to go through the Book
    > Object Oriented Analysis and Design by Brady Booch
    >
    > If U wan to design specific to Java, then u can go through the Book
    > Java Design Patterns...

    "Java Design Patterns" is not a very good book IMO, if it's the same one
    I'm thinking of. The head first design patterns book looks pretty good
    from what I've seen (and covers some practical considerations that seem
    lacking from the GoF book). And of course there's always the original
    Gang of Four book, but it's very dry.

    Alex Hunsley, Jan 22, 2007