Software for Windows and Mac

peter gast

Hello,
we've developed a software for the windows world (VB6) and now we are going
to start with a version 2. We have many requests for running on Mac-Systems
and therefore I want to find out what time the development would needed if
we have realised a software for both systems. The software by itself is a
"normal" windows software with UI and database (dao/ado) functionality,
similar to a text processor? Is there a programmer language for both systems
which enables to write only ONE code and compile it for this two systems?

Thanks Peter

Michael Nemtsev

Hello peter,

There are several open-source implementation .net platform that u could use
to run yo app on Win and Mac platforms
See Mono (http://www.go-mono.com), Portable.NET (http://www.southern-storm.com.au/portable_net.html)

pg> Hello,
pg> we've developed a software for the windows world (VB6) and now we
pg> are going
pg> to start with a version 2. We have many requests for running on
pg> Mac-Systems
pg> and therefore I want to find out what time the development would
pg> needed if
pg> we have realised a software for both systems. The software by itself
pg> is a
pg> "normal" windows software with UI and database (dao/ado)
pg> functionality,
pg> similar to a text processor? Is there a programmer language for both
pg> systems
pg> which enables to write only ONE code and compile it for this two
pg> systems?
pg> Thanks Peter
pg>

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Scott M.

Were you going to follow up your misleading answer with the rest of the
answer? Like the fact that the write once-run anywhere paradigm isn't
exactly as true as you make it sound. Like the fact that there will need to
be differences in the code due to the different run-times used on the
different platforms.

Brendan Green

Having a bad day?

Scott M. said:
Were you going to follow up your misleading answer with the rest of the
answer? Like the fact that the write once-run anywhere paradigm isn't
exactly as true as you make it sound. Like the fact that there will need
to be differences in the code due to the different run-times used on the
different platforms.

darrel

Were you going to follow up your misleading answer with the rest of the
answer? Like the fact that the write once-run anywhere paradigm isn't
exactly as true as you make it sound. Like the fact that there will need
to be differences in the code due to the different run-times used on the
different platforms.

That's only a huge problem if your org makes a bad decision to go with the
'MS-Java' Run Time (yes, I'm pointing at you Netilla!)

-Darrel

darrel

we've developed a software for the windows world (VB6) and now we are
going to start with a version 2. We have many requests for running on
Mac-Systems and therefore I want to find out what time the development
would needed if we have realised a software for both systems.

It's impossible for us to say based on a short post in a newsgroup. But, the
one hurdle would be the fact that you are currently using an MS-centric
IDE/language (and likely a MS-DB as well)

There's a product called RealBasic that is like VB but is cross-platform.
But it can bog down if your application gets too large.

Your best bet, though, would be to join and ask these types of questions
within the Apple Developer Connection:

http://developer.apple.com/

-Darrel

Scott M.