software question

Jim Thornhill

I am a former Front-page user who does not know HTML and won't have time
to learn in the next year or so. Is there a software that I can get
that will allow me to create a web site and convert it into code for me?
I do not need anything fancy, mainly text, banners, and a few
graphics. Any suggestions will be appreciated, Jim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim said:
I am a former Front-page user who does not know HTML and won't have
time to learn in the next year or so. Is there a software that I can
get that will allow me to create a web site and convert it into code
for me?

So you want another WYSIWYG program? Try Kompozer.
http://kompozer.net/
I do not need anything fancy, mainly text, banners, and a few
graphics. Any suggestions will be appreciated, Jim

Once you've generated your first page with Kompozer, switch to code
view, study it for an hour or so, then begin to write your own code.
Surely, you can find a few spare hours in the next year. :)

Travis Newbury

Obviously you feel this is a good program if you suggest it. But
other than price, what do you feel are the best points of this over
something like Dreamweaver?

Thanks

Never mind, I downloaded it and it has a huge drawback that it is only
an HTML editor. My clients need a wysiwyg editor that does more than
HTML (asp in text mode for example) This gave me an error when I
tried to open an ASP page (though I must admit I put all of 3 minutes
into testing it)

I am sure it is a fine program, it just does not meet the application
they need it for. Thanks again

Chaddy2222

Travis said:
Never mind, I downloaded it and it has a huge drawback that it is only
an HTML editor. My clients need a wysiwyg editor that does more than
HTML (asp in text mode for example) This gave me an error when I
tried to open an ASP page (though I must admit I put all of 3 minutes
into testing it)
Hmmm well, it is a WYSIWYG editor. But it was originally a linux
program. It handels PHP quite well I use it *KompoZer all the time
with the handcoder extention.
Maybe download Handcoder and try that out with KompoZer, although if
your working with ASP it might be werth useing MS Expression Web or
some other MS application.

Travis Newbury

Maybe download Handcoder and try that out with KompoZer, although if
your working with ASP it might be werth useing MS Expression Web or
some other MS application.

I took a look at the "Free" Microsoft stuff (visual web developer or
something) and was not really impressed. Dreamweaver is still the
best overall product I have found, and they are improving html code
created by the wysiwyg editor (though you can not use it alone you
have to jump to text mode to clean things up a bit) But it is mighty
pricy...

Chaddy2222

I took a look at the "Free" Microsoft stuff (visual web developer or
something) and was not really impressed. Dreamweaver is still the
best overall product I have found, and they are improving html code
created by the wysiwyg editor (though you can not use it alone you
have to jump to text mode to clean things up a bit) But it is mighty
pricy...

Not wrong.
I actually prefer KompoZer especially as far as the interface goes.
Have you had a look at the CMS packages, such as Mambo (PHP based) and
some of the ASP ones?
I don't mind Mambo / Joomla but they can be tricky to fully customise.

Travis Newbury

Not wrong.
I actually prefer KompoZer especially as far as the interface goes.
Have you had a look at the CMS packages, such as Mambo (PHP based) and
some of the ASP ones?
I don't mind Mambo / Joomla but they can be tricky to fully customise.

They host with godaddy and godaddy offers Dotnet nuke. Which is a bit
limiting, but would give them the ability to change simple content
once built.