software question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim Thornhill, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. I am a former Front-page user who does not know HTML and won't have time
    to learn in the next year or so. Is there a software that I can get
    that will allow me to create a web site and convert it into code for me?
    I do not need anything fancy, mainly text, banners, and a few
    graphics. Any suggestions will be appreciated, Jim
    Jim Thornhill, Nov 4, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jim Thornhill wrote:

    > I am a former Front-page user who does not know HTML and won't have
    > time to learn in the next year or so. Is there a software that I can
    > get that will allow me to create a web site and convert it into code
    > for me?


    So you want another WYSIWYG program? Try Kompozer.
    http://kompozer.net/

    > I do not need anything fancy, mainly text, banners, and a few
    > graphics. Any suggestions will be appreciated, Jim


    Once you've generated your first page with Kompozer, switch to code
    view, study it for an hour or so, then begin to write your own code.
    Surely, you can find a few spare hours in the next year. :)

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 4, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Nov 3, 11:18 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > So you want another WYSIWYG program? Try Kompozer.http://kompozer.net/


    Obviously you feel this is a good program if you suggest it. But
    other than price, what do you feel are the best points of this over
    something like Dreamweaver?

    Thanks
    Travis Newbury, Nov 5, 2007
    #3
  4. On Nov 5, 6:37 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 11:18 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > So you want another WYSIWYG program? Try Kompozer.http://kompozer.net/

    >
    > Obviously you feel this is a good program if you suggest it. But
    > other than price, what do you feel are the best points of this over
    > something like Dreamweaver?
    >
    > Thanks


    Never mind, I downloaded it and it has a huge drawback that it is only
    an HTML editor. My clients need a wysiwyg editor that does more than
    HTML (asp in text mode for example) This gave me an error when I
    tried to open an ASP page (though I must admit I put all of 3 minutes
    into testing it)

    I am sure it is a fine program, it just does not meet the application
    they need it for. Thanks again
    Travis Newbury, Nov 5, 2007
    #4
  5. Jim Thornhill

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 6:37 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > > On Nov 3, 11:18 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > >
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > So you want another WYSIWYG program? Try Kompozer.http://kompozer.net/

    > >
    > > Obviously you feel this is a good program if you suggest it. But
    > > other than price, what do you feel are the best points of this over
    > > something like Dreamweaver?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    >
    > Never mind, I downloaded it and it has a huge drawback that it is only
    > an HTML editor. My clients need a wysiwyg editor that does more than
    > HTML (asp in text mode for example) This gave me an error when I
    > tried to open an ASP page (though I must admit I put all of 3 minutes
    > into testing it)

    Hmmm well, it is a WYSIWYG editor. But it was originally a linux
    program. It handels PHP quite well I use it *KompoZer all the time
    with the handcoder extention.
    Maybe download Handcoder and try that out with KompoZer, although if
    your working with ASP it might be werth useing MS Expression Web or
    some other MS application.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

    >
    > I am sure it is a fine program, it just does not meet the application
    > they need it for. Thanks again
    Chaddy2222, Nov 5, 2007
    #5
  6. On Nov 5, 9:15 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    wrote:
    > Maybe download Handcoder and try that out with KompoZer, although if
    > your working with ASP it might be werth useing MS Expression Web or
    > some other MS application.


    I took a look at the "Free" Microsoft stuff (visual web developer or
    something) and was not really impressed. Dreamweaver is still the
    best overall product I have found, and they are improving html code
    created by the wysiwyg editor (though you can not use it alone you
    have to jump to text mode to clean things up a bit) But it is mighty
    pricy...
    Travis Newbury, Nov 5, 2007
    #6
  7. Jim Thornhill

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Nov 6, 2:50 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 9:15 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe download Handcoder and try that out with KompoZer, although if
    > > your working with ASP it might be werth useing MS Expression Web or
    > > some other MS application.

    >
    > I took a look at the "Free" Microsoft stuff (visual web developer or
    > something) and was not really impressed. Dreamweaver is still the
    > best overall product I have found, and they are improving html code
    > created by the wysiwyg editor (though you can not use it alone you
    > have to jump to text mode to clean things up a bit) But it is mighty
    > pricy...


    Not wrong.
    I actually prefer KompoZer especially as far as the interface goes.
    Have you had a look at the CMS packages, such as Mambo (PHP based) and
    some of the ASP ones?
    I don't mind Mambo / Joomla but they can be tricky to fully customise.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz
    Chaddy2222, Nov 5, 2007
    #7
  8. On Nov 5, 11:16 am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > wrote:
    > Not wrong.
    > I actually prefer KompoZer especially as far as the interface goes.
    > Have you had a look at the CMS packages, such as Mambo (PHP based) and
    > some of the ASP ones?
    > I don't mind Mambo / Joomla but they can be tricky to fully customise.


    They host with godaddy and godaddy offers Dotnet nuke. Which is a bit
    limiting, but would give them the ability to change simple content
    once built.
    Travis Newbury, Nov 5, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page