    drop down menus for websites and have complete control over the design
    of such menus. Any recommandation? Thank you
    Cheers

    maflu, Oct 16, 2003

  2. "maflu" <> wrote in message
    news:3f8e7aa0$0$27584$...
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a good software that would enable me to create DHTML
    > drop down menus for websites and have complete control over the design
    > of such menus. Any recommandation? Thank you
    > Cheers

    The first question to answer is "Why?".
    Those things are often called "Slippery" in usability studies, and they have
    massive accessibility problems.
    They can be made so that they're accessible, but I'd bet that anything
    pre-made or made by software won't do them right. Even then, you have the
    slipperiness to deal with.

    --
    Karl Core

    At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

    EightNineThree, Oct 16, 2003

  3. "EightNineThree" <> wrote in message

    > "maflu" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I am looking for a good software that would enable me to create DHTML
    > > drop down menus for websites and have complete control over the design
    > > of such menus. Any recommandation? Thank you
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > The first question to answer is "Why?".
    > Those things are often called "Slippery" in usability studies, and they

    have
    > massive accessibility problems.
    > They can be made so that they're accessible, but I'd bet that anything
    > pre-made or made by software won't do them right. Even then, you have the
    > slipperiness to deal with.

    I honestly thought we wanted/needed some sort of DHTML drop down menu, in
    our last design. We tested, retested and decided all was well to launch.
    It wasn't.

    It was, by far, the most nightmarish experience I've had with a design
    problem...and, in the end, we scrapped the drop down menu. I even had
    several alt.html'ers take a stab at fixing the code. There was one that
    came pretty close, but still had unexpected problems. Our current design
    (which is being completely redone, at the moment) is a mess because we had
    to piece together a fix for the lack of proper navigation.

    My point? Don't bother with drop downs. They're kinda like
    frames...something you CAN do, but certainly more trouble than they're
    worth.

    BTW - Our new, yet unlaunched design: http://ebay.affordablehost.com :)

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    LiveChat: http://chat.affordablehost.com

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Oct 16, 2003
  4. maflu

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My point? Don't bother with drop downs. They're kinda like
    > frames...something you CAN do, but certainly more trouble than they're
    > worth.
    >
    > BTW - Our new, yet unlaunched design: http://ebay.affordablehost.com :)

    This is by far the best design I have seen for your site.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Hywel Jenkins, Oct 16, 2003
  6. maflu

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Tina - AffordableHOST.com"
    <> writing in

    > BTW - Our new, yet unlaunched design: http://ebay.affordablehost.com

    :)

    It looks great, but ...

    Why are you using 11px font size?

    That javascript could go into an external file, save some load time.

    Line 146
    A:hover { FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #DD4F05; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-
    DECORATION: noe}

    S/B text-decoration: none

    As a matter of fact, the style element should go into an external style
    sheet anyway.

    I really like the way it looks, probably the best yet.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Satisfied Customer

    Adrienne, Oct 16, 2003