Solaris 8 Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Flemming Højstrup Hansen, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Machine: Sun Blade 1500
    Operating System: Solaris 8
    perl version: 5.8.6 (or 5.8.5)

    Very quickly after I run:

    sh Configure

    I get the error message:

    Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5. Please start
    Configure with an explicit path -- i.e. /some/path/Configure.

    and the second time:

    rm: ./UU is a directory

    in front of the same error message.

    I have seen the error message in Perl NG before but no explanation. Can
    anyone tell me what's wrong?

    TIA
    Flemming

    --
    Flemming Højstrup Hansen

    Hovedstadens Udviklingsråd
    (Greater Copenhagen Authority)

    Flemming Højstrup Hansen, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Flemming Højstrup Hansen

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Flemming Højstrup Hansen <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Machine: Sun Blade 1500
    > Operating System: Solaris 8
    > perl version: 5.8.6 (or 5.8.5)
    >
    > Very quickly after I run:
    >
    > sh Configure
    >
    > I get the error message:
    >
    > Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5. Please start
    > Configure with an explicit path -- i.e. /some/path/Configure.

    Did you do that? What happened?

    > and the second time:
    >
    > rm: ./UU is a directory
    >
    > in front of the same error message.
    >
    > I have seen the error message in Perl NG before but no explanation. Can
    > anyone tell me what's wrong?

    The message is from the generic Configure script used by Perl. It
    tries to figure out where it is run from, similar to Perl's FindBin.
    If running Configure with a full path name doesn't help, add some
    echo statements to (a copy of) Configure to find out what's going on.
    The relevant part is between ": Find the path to the source tree"
    and the text of the error message.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Flemming Højstrup Hansen

    Tintin Guest

    "Flemming "Højstrup" Hansen" <> wrote in message
    > Machine: Sun Blade 1500
    > Operating System: Solaris 8
    > perl version: 5.8.6 (or 5.8.5)
    >
    > Very quickly after I run:
    >
    > sh Configure
    >
    > I get the error message:
    >
    > Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5. Please start
    > Configure with an explicit path -- i.e. /some/path/Configure.
    >
    > and the second time:
    >
    > rm: ./UU is a directory
    >
    > in front of the same error message.
    >
    > I have seen the error message in Perl NG before but no explanation. Can
    > anyone tell me what's wrong?

    If you just want a newer version of Perl, why not install the Perl Solaris
    package from http://sunfreeware.com/

    Tintin, Mar 12, 2005