Solaris 8 Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5.

Flemming Højstrup Hansen

Machine: Sun Blade 1500
Operating System: Solaris 8
perl version: 5.8.6 (or 5.8.5)

Very quickly after I run:

sh Configure

I get the error message:

Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5. Please start
Configure with an explicit path -- i.e. /some/path/Configure.

and the second time:

rm: ./UU is a directory

in front of the same error message.

I have seen the error message in Perl NG before but no explanation. Can
anyone tell me what's wrong?

TIA
Flemming

Anno Siegel

Flemming Højstrup Hansen said:
Machine: Sun Blade 1500
Operating System: Solaris 8
perl version: 5.8.6 (or 5.8.5)

Very quickly after I run:

sh Configure

I get the error message:

Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5. Please start
Configure with an explicit path -- i.e. /some/path/Configure.

Did you do that? What happened?
and the second time:

rm: ./UU is a directory

in front of the same error message.

I have seen the error message in Perl NG before but no explanation. Can
anyone tell me what's wrong?

The message is from the generic Configure script used by Perl. It
tries to figure out where it is run from, similar to Perl's FindBin.
If running Configure with a full path name doesn't help, add some
echo statements to (a copy of) Configure to find out what's going on.
The relevant part is between ": Find the path to the source tree"
and the text of the error message.

Anno

Tintin

Flemming "Højstrup" Hansen said:
Machine: Sun Blade 1500
Operating System: Solaris 8
perl version: 5.8.6 (or 5.8.5)

Very quickly after I run:

sh Configure

I get the error message:

Sorry I can't seem to locate the source dir for perl5. Please start
Configure with an explicit path -- i.e. /some/path/Configure.

and the second time:

rm: ./UU is a directory

in front of the same error message.

I have seen the error message in Perl NG before but no explanation. Can
anyone tell me what's wrong?

If you just want a newer version of Perl, why not install the Perl Solaris
package from http://sunfreeware.com/