Solaris taking over Perl ownership

Andrew Hamm

krakle said:
The what? perl? What's that? You mean Perl.

perl? You mean Perl.

ETC ETC ETC

Sorry to re-start an old thread, but what the ****? Why is this ng so full
of pedantic fools? Jeeeezus it's such a home for nerds here.

Andrew Hamm

Tad said:
No he didn't.

Thankyou. I stopped listening two weeks ago for reasons I have mentioned
before.

Back to the original subject, I still think there is a problem with O/S's
mandating the version of Perl. Now in Solaris' case* there is a clean
solution since Sun have only made a link to their install from
/usr/bin/perl, but wouldn't you know it, a similar problem has hit me from
a customer with RH enterprise - some sort of print service is demanding
access to a Foomatic module. I haven't investigated yet but my immediate
thought was back to the same subject on Solaris, and also to muse that
maybe the author of the printer script didn't know enough to responsibly
write

use FindBin;
use lib "$FindBin::Bin/lib"; # or similar

Honestly, I'm not against O/S supplying a copy of all the Perl stuff if
they want to supply O/S scripts calling on perl, but of all the components
that should be stuffed into a "special place" surely it's the O/S that
should be using a special place. Many users of Linux, Solaris or any other
UNIX** will want to upgrade Perl at their own schedule. It's a big
responsibility for the O/S to start owning the installed versions and
getting in the way of customer software.

I hope the RH install also uses a similar arrangement as Solaris, and
maybe that $PERL5LIB (sp?) will solve the Foomatic problem. I can't build
my binaries to predict all the possible install locations for Perl from
O/Ss. I fit and supply dedicated systems for typically single-minded
purposes. We put database engines, large application suites, and
ancilliary tools at specific build levels, and it's not acceptable for O/S
to make that difficult when a bit more care could have been applied to
protect the steadily increasing number of scripts within the O/S.

The alternative is that every bloody machine has 15 copies of Perl all
is partially responsible for this unfortunate experience. Over a similar
timeframe, Java has barely reached - what, 1.4 is it now?

* come on krakle, correct my use of apostrophe if you like, and if you
think I care

** who cares to re-educate me that "Linux is not UNIX"? krakle? Teach me
all about it please.

Andrew Hamm

Sherm said:
Never misunderestimate the strength of a nukular interputer. ;-)

lol - you guys make it fun again. I take back my sweeping statement about
this ng and it's inhabitants.

Perhaps krakle Is Duncezilla's secret illegal undergraduate lover.

Andrew Hamm

Tad said:
We like you too.

Hey, I took that back in the next message. Plus, "full of" doesn't exclude
the existence of more decent people too. I'm complaining about the people
you are perhaps more steely enough to do constant battle with. I got fed
up with it months and months ago. I don't think I've really hung around or
contributed for more than a year. Maybe two - whenever the switchover from
c.l.p to c.l.p.m was being put through.

I don't know why people just can't be nice to each other and try to be
helpful instead of scoring geek points from winning interminable
arguments. From your other message, krakle always trolls does (s)he?
Anonymity gives these people too much scope and safety...

How do you get the strength to keep contributing day after day? You have a
supply of really strong coffee perhaps?

Matt Garrish

Sherm I suppose you are an idiot because I'm not the one who said:

No, you're the idiot who wrote:

"Perl language. Perl code. perl interputer."

Please pay attention to your own postings.

Matt