Solaris, Xdesigner, C......

jasclz

Hi,

Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
decided I'll
ask the C gurus.

First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.

I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7. After I generated
the C code, I tried to compile the main. I get many warnings and
errors that are similar to the ones below (I cut and pasted the last 4
errors because most of the compiling issues are similar.):

mach1# cc test_gui.c
mach1# ...
"/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 352: syntax error before or at:
_Xconst
"/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 352: Warning undefined or missing

type for _Xconst
"/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 353: Warning undefined or missing

type for _Xconst
"/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 354: Warning undefined or missing

type for _Xconst

Am I missing something like a library or definition for these header
files? If so, where do I find them?

Thanks,
Jay

Kenny McCormack

Hi,

Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
decided I'll
ask the C gurus.

First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

Allow me to be the first to say this - and I say it from the deepness of my
heart, with all the kindness and love one has come to associate with the
helpful posts you get in this newsgroup:

Not portable. Can't discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

Keith Thompson

Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
decided I'll ask the C gurus.

Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
the C language.

If you didn't get any responses in comp.unix.solaris, you might try
one of the comp.windows.x groups.

jasclz

Thanks for the reply,

If I can, ask one follow up question...

Does this mean when I use xdesigner, I need to generate my code in C++?

Thanks again,
-J

Mark McIntyre

Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
the C language.

Not entirely. At a guess, he's is missing a critical header which
defines _Xconst.

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
Not entirely. At a guess, he's is missing a critical header which
defines _Xconst.

And the question of which header that might be is entirely
system-specific.

Keith Thompson

Thanks for the reply,

If I can, ask one follow up question...

Does this mean when I use xdesigner, I need to generate my code in C++?

Sorry, we have no idea. That's pretty clearly not a question about C,
which is what we discuss here. It's probably not even a question
about C++; rather, it seems to be about something called "xdesigner",
which I'd guess includes documentation.

Randy Howard

(e-mail address removed) wrote
(in article
Hi,

Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies.

I tried asking a question once in a physics newsgroup, and got
no replies. So, I tried the same question in a a networking
protocols group, and they told me to go away, as it was
Off-Topic. Guess what is going to happen here?
So I decided I'll ask the C gurus.

They're all busy working on C.
First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

We care not.
I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.

We care not. Portable, standard C doesn't care about the
compiler at all, unless the compiler is broken. If you think
your compiler is broken, call tech support.
I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7.

There are no GUIs in standard C. There is no "xdesigner"
either. Is it commercial software? Have you contacted the
vendor?
After I generated the C code, I tried to compile the main.

I usually compile source files. YMMV.
mach1# cc test_gui.c
mach1# ...
"/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 352: syntax error before or at:
_Xconst

Very interesting. That is not a standard header, and my crystal
ball was dropped on the floor last Thursday, at which time it
shattered into a zillion pieces. It was especially annoying, as
I was barefoot at the time.

I can't guess what's inside, and even if I had that header on my
system, I wouldn't discuss it in this newsgroup.

Richard Heathfield

Randy Howard said:
There are no GUIs in standard C.

There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

Randy Howard

Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article
Randy Howard said:

There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

Oh my. You're in one of those moods today.

:)

Jordan Abel

Randy Howard said:

There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
graphical character.

Mark McIntyre

And the question of which header that might be is entirely
system-specific.

Agreed. However I feel the question can be answered in terms of ISO C.
The error means he's missing the definition of the type.

Niklas Norrthon

Hi,

Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
decided I'll
ask the C gurus.

First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.

I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7. After I generated
the C code, I tried to compile the main. I get many warnings and
errors that are similar to the ones below (I cut and pasted the last 4
errors because most of the compiling issues are similar.):

[snipped error messages]

Perhaps this is off topic here as other posters suggest, but perhaps not,
I don't know... And we can't tell you what's wrong, because you haven't
supplied us with enough information.

Next time you need help to decipher the output of a C compiler post the
portion of the code that is the cause of the error messages, together
with the error messages. And post the first 4 errors instead of the
last 4.

/Niklas Norrthon

Michael Wojcik

And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
graphical character.

Vertical tab is sensible for some screen-mode terminals, like IBM
3270s and 5250s. Those typically have a motion key defined for
something like "field down" - move to the next input field on the
screen below the current line.

I note the C99 Rationale says:

The vertical tab sequence ('\v') was added since many existing
implementations support it, and since it is convenient to have a
designation within the language for all the defined white space
characters. (5.2.2 ln 30-32)

In the PDP-10 archives at trailing-edge.com I see that the driver for
Qume, Xerox, Diablo, Gencom, and AJ830 hard-copy terminals has a "set
vertical tab" settting. I think that was used mostly with preprinted
forms - you could set vertical tabs corresponding to areas of the
form.

(According to the xterm docs, xterm treats VT as identical to LF,
which at least isn't "doing nothing or printing an unspecified
graphical character", though whether it's significantly more useful
is debatable.)

So while I agree that a GUI stdio could do something sensible with
VT, it appears that some non-GUI environments do so as well.

--
Michael Wojcik (e-mail address removed)

This is a "rubbering action game," a 2D platformer where you control a
girl equipped with an elastic rope with a fishing hook at the end.
-- review of _Umihara Kawase Shun_ for the Sony Playstation

Dave Thompson

And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
graphical character.

Once upon a time there were printers that had vertical tabs, most
widespreadly the workhorse IBM 1403 series which used a small loop of
punched paper tape to specify "stops" for up to 12 IIRC channels, in
much the same fashion as typewriters and now word processor programs
allow you to set horizontal tab stops; by convention channel 1 was
top-of-form only, but others might be site or application dependent.
Many other manufacturers either used a compatible scheme, or an
incompatible but claimed better one. After about 1980 these started
falling out of fashion and I don't think I've seen any since 1990.

You might still find some dusty-deck Fortran that uses (used) these by
outputting carriage-control characters in column 1 other than space
and plus and '1', and maybe some COBOL although COBOL that needed
extensive page formatting would probably better use (have used) the
report-generator features instead of explicit code.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net