Solaris, Xdesigner, C......

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jasclz@aol.com, Dec 1, 2005.

    Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    decided I'll
    ask the C gurus.

    First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

    I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.

    I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7. After I generated
    the C code, I tried to compile the main. I get many warnings and
    errors that are similar to the ones below (I cut and pasted the last 4
    errors because most of the compiling issues are similar.):

    mach1# cc test_gui.c
    mach1# ...
    "/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 352: syntax error before or at:
    _Xconst
    "/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 352: Warning undefined or missing

    type for _Xconst
    "/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 353: Warning undefined or missing

    type for _Xconst
    "/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 354: Warning undefined or missing

    type for _Xconst

    Am I missing something like a library or definition for these header
    files? If so, where do I find them?

    Thanks,
    Jay

    , Dec 1, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    >decided I'll
    >ask the C gurus.
    >
    >First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

    Allow me to be the first to say this - and I say it from the deepness of my
    heart, with all the kindness and love one has come to associate with the
    helpful posts you get in this newsgroup:

    Not portable. Can't discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

    Kenny McCormack, Dec 1, 2005

  3. writes:
    > Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    > decided I'll ask the C gurus.

    Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
    the C language.

    If you didn't get any responses in comp.unix.solaris, you might try
    one of the comp.windows.x groups.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 1, 2005

    Thanks for the reply,

    If I can, ask one follow up question...

    Does this mean when I use xdesigner, I need to generate my code in C++?

    Thanks again,
    -J

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    > >decided I'll
    > >ask the C gurus.
    > >
    > >First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

    > Allow me to be the first to say this - and I say it from the deepness of my
    > heart, with all the kindness and love one has come to associate with the
    > helpful posts you get in this newsgroup:
    >
    > Not portable. Can't discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

    , Dec 1, 2005
  5. On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:43:51 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > writes:
    >> Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    >> decided I'll ask the C gurus.

    >Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
    >the C language.

    Not entirely. At a guess, he's is missing a critical header which
    defines _Xconst.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:43:51 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> writes:
    >>> Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    >>> decided I'll ask the C gurus.

    >>Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
    >>the C language.

    > Not entirely. At a guess, he's is missing a critical header which
    > defines _Xconst.

    And the question of which header that might be is entirely
    system-specific.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 1, 2005
  7. writes:
    > Thanks for the reply,
    >
    > If I can, ask one follow up question...
    >
    > Does this mean when I use xdesigner, I need to generate my code in C++?

    Sorry, we have no idea. That's pretty clearly not a question about C,
    which is what we discuss here. It's probably not even a question
    about C++; rather, it seems to be about something called "xdesigner",
    which I'd guess includes documentation.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Randy Howard Guest

    wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > Hi,
    >
    > Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies.

    I tried asking a question once in a physics newsgroup, and got
    no replies. So, I tried the same question in a a networking
    protocols group, and they told me to go away, as it was
    Off-Topic. Guess what is going to happen here?

    > So I decided I'll ask the C gurus.

    They're all busy working on C.

    > First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.

    We care not.

    > I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.

    We care not. Portable, standard C doesn't care about the
    compiler at all, unless the compiler is broken. If you think
    your compiler is broken, call tech support.

    > I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7.

    There are no GUIs in standard C. There is no "xdesigner"
    either. Is it commercial software? Have you contacted the
    vendor?

    > After I generated the C code, I tried to compile the main.

    I usually compile source files. YMMV.

    > mach1# cc test_gui.c
    > mach1# ...
    > "/usr/include/X11/Xresource.h", line 352: syntax error before or at:
    > _Xconst

    Very interesting. That is not a standard header, and my crystal
    ball was dropped on the floor last Thursday, at which time it
    shattered into a zillion pieces. It was especially annoying, as
    I was barefoot at the time.

    I can't guess what's inside, and even if I had that header on my
    system, I wouldn't discuss it in this newsgroup.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

    Randy Howard, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Randy Howard said:

    > There are no GUIs in standard C.

    There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
    stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 1, 2005
  10. Randy Howard Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote
    (in article
    <dmnt71$kv5$-infra.bt.com>):

    > Randy Howard said:
    >
    >> There are no GUIs in standard C.

    > There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
    > stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

    Oh my. You're in one of those moods today.

    :)

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

    Randy Howard, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Jordan Abel Guest

    On 2005-12-01, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > Randy Howard said:
    >
    >> There are no GUIs in standard C.

    > There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
    > stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

    And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
    as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
    clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
    mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
    graphical character.

    Jordan Abel, Dec 1, 2005
  12. On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:56:27 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
    <> wrote:

    >Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    >> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:43:51 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Sorry, your problem has to do with something system-specific, not with
    >>>the C language.

    >> Not entirely. At a guess, he's is missing a critical header which
    >> defines _Xconst.

    >And the question of which header that might be is entirely
    >system-specific.

    Agreed. However I feel the question can be answered in terms of ISO C.
    The error means he's missing the definition of the type.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 1, 2005
  13. writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Ok I tried posting this in the solaris group with no replies. So I
    > decided I'll
    > ask the C gurus.
    >
    > First off, I'm a total beginner using xdesigner and solaris.
    >
    > I'm using the Sun cc compiler Version 5.7 on Solaris 10.
    >
    > I created a simple GUI using xdesigner version 7.7. After I generated
    > the C code, I tried to compile the main. I get many warnings and
    > errors that are similar to the ones below (I cut and pasted the last 4
    > errors because most of the compiling issues are similar.):

    [snipped error messages]

    Perhaps this is off topic here as other posters suggest, but perhaps not,
    I don't know... And we can't tell you what's wrong, because you haven't
    supplied us with enough information.

    Next time you need help to decipher the output of a C compiler post the
    portion of the code that is the cause of the error messages, together
    with the error messages. And post the first 4 errors instead of the
    last 4.

    /Niklas Norrthon

    Niklas Norrthon, Dec 2, 2005
  14. In article <>, Jordan Abel <> writes:
    > On 2005-12-01, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
    > > stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

    > And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
    > as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
    > clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
    > mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
    > graphical character.

    Vertical tab is sensible for some screen-mode terminals, like IBM
    3270s and 5250s. Those typically have a motion key defined for
    something like "field down" - move to the next input field on the
    screen below the current line.

    I note the C99 Rationale says:

    The vertical tab sequence ('\v') was added since many existing
    implementations support it, and since it is convenient to have a
    designation within the language for all the defined white space
    characters. (5.2.2 ln 30-32)

    In the PDP-10 archives at trailing-edge.com I see that the driver for
    Qume, Xerox, Diablo, Gencom, and AJ830 hard-copy terminals has a "set
    vertical tab" settting. I think that was used mostly with preprinted
    forms - you could set vertical tabs corresponding to areas of the
    form.

    (According to the xterm docs, xterm treats VT as identical to LF,
    which at least isn't "doing nothing or printing an unspecified
    graphical character", though whether it's significantly more useful
    is debatable.)

    So while I agree that a GUI stdio could do something sensible with
    VT, it appears that some non-GUI environments do so as well.

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    This is a "rubbering action game," a 2D platformer where you control a
    girl equipped with an elastic rope with a fishing hook at the end.
    -- review of _Umihara Kawase Shun_ for the Sony Playstation

    Michael Wojcik, Dec 5, 2005
  15. On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:43:37 +0000 (UTC), Jordan Abel
    <> wrote:

    > On 2005-12-01, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > > Randy Howard said:
    > >
    > >> There are no GUIs in standard C.

    > > There might be. Standard C does not forbid an implementation to use GUI
    > > stuff for, say, stdin, stdout, and stderr.

    > And an implementation that did might be better from some points of view,
    > as such an implementation could allow \v to work as expected. It's not
    > clear to me just what is expected, but clearly someone had something in
    > mind at some point other than doing nothing or printing an unspecified
    > graphical character.

    Once upon a time there were printers that had vertical tabs, most
    widespreadly the workhorse IBM 1403 series which used a small loop of
    punched paper tape to specify "stops" for up to 12 IIRC channels, in
    much the same fashion as typewriters and now word processor programs
    allow you to set horizontal tab stops; by convention channel 1 was
    top-of-form only, but others might be site or application dependent.
    Many other manufacturers either used a compatible scheme, or an
    incompatible but claimed better one. After about 1980 these started
    falling out of fashion and I don't think I've seen any since 1990.

    You might still find some dusty-deck Fortran that uses (used) these by
    outputting carriage-control characters in column 1 other than space
    and plus and '1', and maybe some COBOL although COBOL that needed
    extensive page formatting would probably better use (have used) the
    report-generator features instead of explicit code.

    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Dec 14, 2005