    Tomcat for this if possible(?)

    Regards
    Rune J. Andresen

    Rune Andresen, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Rune Andresen wrote:

    > Thank you for you answer! :)
    >
    > The communciation will be pretty simple, so I want to have, if possible, my
    > own protocol.
    >
    > The problem is that I have heard that an Applet has to be signed to make a
    > socket, and this could limitate useser which does not have a admin-user(?)
    >
    > Is there other solutions which could be better in a server. Applet
    > communication for this purpose?
    >
    > Another question is: If I use JDK 1.1 (which does not include encrytion!) ,
    > could I include the Java security file that comes with JSSE with the applet?
    >
    > Thank you :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Rune J. Andresen
    >
    > "Markus Reitz" <-kl.de> skrev i melding
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > it depends on the communication between client and server. If you are

    > using
    > > your own communication protocol, a quick solution is to write a mini

    > server
    > > for this purpose (-> ServerSocket).
    > >
    > > Could you post some more details?
    > >
    > > Bye
    > >
    > > Markus

    Why not send all communications through the server? To do this you'd
    probably have to set up some sort of database or other way of tracking
    the state of the communication. Your server might allow opening of
    ServerSockets to directly obtain connections from the applets, but it is
    unlikely that your host would allow that. In lieu of that you would
    need another method of communicating, like Http.

    You might be able to set up some sort of multi-user session, although
    I'm a bit apprehensive about using the same session id from two
    different remote locations.

    Your applets could either use RMI to communicate back to the server or
    use a HttpURLConnection to query back to a servlet. It seems like you
    would have to use a polling strategy in your applets to continuously
    check to see if there is a message queued to be read.

    --
    Steve

    Steve Claflin, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Rune Andresen

    Markus Reitz Guest

    Hi,

    what kind of communication happens between applet and server? Should the
    applet store any data on the server?

    Bye

    Markus

    Markus Reitz, Aug 26, 2003