    for each web project in the solution. I have even unchecked Build for all
    projects under configuration.

    Gerry

    gerry, Apr 21, 2010

  2. On Apr 21, 2:11 pm, "gerry" <> wrote:
    > In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how do
    > we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ?
    > There are no dependencies between the apps.
    > In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the
    > available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup project
    > , and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None except one
    > set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the development is started
    > for each web project in the solution.  I have even unchecked Build for all
    > projects under configuration.
    >
    > Gerry

    In the top menu Project - ASP.NET Configuration you will find
    Application Configuration - Take application offline

    Is this what you need?

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 21, 2010

  3. gerry

    gerry Guest

    thanks alexey

    that doesn't seem to help.
    I did this for all web projects/sites in the solution and F5 still starts up
    an instance of the dev server for each of them.
    It does do something because if I do it for the project/site I am debugging
    I get a "The resource cannot be found. ... /Default.aspx" error but i still
    get all the dev server instances as well.

    gerry, Apr 22, 2010
  4. "gerry" <> wrote in message
    > In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how
    > do we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ?
    > There are no dependencies between the apps.
    > In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the
    > available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup
    > project , and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None
    > except one set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the
    > development is started for each web project in the solution. I have even
    > unchecked Build for all projects under configuration.

    I am going to give my two cents, which you may not like, but it comes from
    tons of experience in both Visual Studio and .NET.

    Web "apps" are UI. They are not applications. The application lies in the
    libraries holding the business code. If you have your business code in the
    web application, you have made the assumption that the "application" can
    only be used on the web, which is a box you don't have to constrain yourself
    to. If you have too much code in the code behind/beside, consider
    refactoring to libraries so you can add other faceplates (UI projects).

    When viewed in this way, you have one web application per solution. They can
    all share the same app libraries, helper libraries, data access libraries,
    etc., but it is one UI application per solution. And, if you need to test
    across apps (single sign on), you can temporarily pull into the same
    solution and have them spin up or create another solution for interaction.
    All a solution file is, in Visual Studio, is an organization unit. A project
    can be seen as the same thing in some instances, but generally a single
    project creates a single assembly (there are ways around this, but 99% off
    the people are developing this way). A solution is a solution. It solves a
    problem from soup to nuts. A project does not have to belong to only ONE
    solution. In general, however, a solution contains ONLY one UI project, as
    that is the means of "talking" to users.

    --
    Peace and Grace,
    Greg

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Apr 22, 2010
  5. gerry

    gerry Guest

    Hi Greg, not sure how a personal application design philosophy answers a
    question about visual studio functionality but thanks for the reply anyway
    ;-)

    gerry, Apr 22, 2010
  6. gerry

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    gerry wrote:
    > In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how do
    > we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ?
    > There are no dependencies between the apps.
    > In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the
    > available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup project
    > , and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None except one
    > set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the development is started
    > for each web project in the solution. I have even unchecked Build for all
    > projects under configuration.
    >
    > Gerry

    Well, for each Web project, you would make an individual sln file that
    contains every thing that particular project needs. Common projects
    that all Web projects will use will be in the snl file for the
    individual Web project etc, etc.

    You will have everything in the sln that will make it an individual
    solution that will compile by itself and allow the Web site run.

    You'll do this procedure for each Web project segregating each Web
    project into an individual sln.

    You'll have a sln file for all Web projects that is in the main.sln. You
    will need it to add a new project to the main.snl before you create an
    individual sln for a given project.

    Sometimes, you will have to compile the total solution all Web projects
    using the main.sln before you can compile an individual project is a
    sln, because references change due to someone making changes to a common
    project.

    If you do that, you can segregate the Web projects into individual
    sln(s), you don't compile all the projects to start an individual Web
    project you need to debug in a given solution.

    That's what we do at work in a 30 something Web projects so were not
    compiling all projects when working on one project for debugging.

    Mr. Arnold, Apr 23, 2010
  7. gerry

    gerry Guest

    For anyone else that may be interested, I found the property "Always start
    when debugging" that exists for each project in the solution - I never
    noticed this before as it is under "Property Window" and not "Property
    Pages". Setting this to false will stop the project from startinng up on F5
    .. Problem solved.
    I would have expected that would be the same property displayed in the
    Solution Property Startup Page as project Startup Action but obviously it
    isn't.

    gerry, Apr 25, 2010