solving java.lang.ClassFormatError: Field "has inconsistent hierarchy" in class

Discussion in 'Java' started by vizlab, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. vizlab

    vizlab Guest

    Hi, guys:

    This is the error message I got when I tried to run servlets.
    How can I solve it? Thanks a lot.

    exception

    javax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance
    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:825)
    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:731)
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:526)
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    root cause

    java.lang.ClassFormatError: Field "has inconsistent hierarchy" in
    class myapp/web/servlets/ProjectListServlet has illegal signature "V"
    java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1247)
    org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1181)
    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:825)
    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:731)
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:526)
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
    Tomcat/5.5.4 logs.

    vizlab, Dec 29, 2004

  2. vizlab

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "vizlab" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, guys:
    >
    > This is the error message I got when I tried to run servlets.
    > How can I solve it? Thanks a lot.

    [...]
    > java.lang.ClassFormatError: Field "has inconsistent hierarchy" in
    > class myapp/web/servlets/ProjectListServlet has illegal signature "V"

    [...]

    All servlets or just that one? Have you tried recompiling it?

    Ryan Stewart, Dec 29, 2004

  3. vizlab

    Chris Uppal Guest

    vizlab wrote:

    > java.lang.ClassFormatError: Field "has inconsistent hierarchy" in
    > class myapp/web/servlets/ProjectListServlet has illegal signature "V"

    Sounds like a corrupt .class file to me.

    Unless there's a method called 'Field' in class
    myapp.web.servlets.ProjectListServlet -- which I assume there isn't -- then
    presumably the error message is complaining that some field is "declared" void.
    Which is illegal/meaningless.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Dec 29, 2004
  4. vizlab

    satya

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Illegal field name "has inconsistent hierarchy" in class controller/AdminController

    [
    > Hi, guys:
    >
    > This is the error message I got when I tried to run servlets.
    > How can I solve it? Thanks a lot.
    >[/color]
    [...]
    > java.lang.ClassFormatError: Field "has inconsistent hierarchy" in
    > class myapp/web/servlets/ProjectListServlet has illegal signature "V"

    [...]

    All servlets or just that one? Have you tried recompiling it?[/QUOTE]

    satya, Aug 26, 2007