Some Basics - strings and Conversions

Mike Copeland

In the following code, even though the program executes, the 2nd
prompt fails to process data. The 1st prompt requires 2 returns (why is
that?), but the 2nd doesn't: it prompts, waits for data, and goes on to
the last "cout" with no value in "quantity".
I know this is basic C++ stuff, but I'm trying to convert my massive
C code applications (particularly using C strings) to something more
acceptable here: basic::strings and directed I/o and conversions. Thus,
I'm learning this stuff for the first time... 8<{{ TIA

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <sstream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
string mystr;
float price = 0;
int quantity = 0;

cout << "Enter Price and Description: "; // numeric & text
getline (cin, mystr);
stringstream(mystr) >> price; // parse only the numeric portion
cout << "Enter quantity: ";
getline (cin, mystr);
stringstream(mystr) >> quantity;
cout << "Total price: " << price*quantity << endl;
return 0;

red floyd

In the following code, even though the program executes, the 2nd
prompt fails to process data. The 1st prompt requires 2 returns (why is
that?), but the 2nd doesn't: it prompts, waits for data, and goes on to
the last "cout" with no value in "quantity".
[redacted]

What platform and compiler are you using? It looks OK source-wise,
and it works for me, compiling with 0 warnings, g++ 4.5.3, Cygwin.

Ian Collins

In the following code, even though the program executes, the 2nd
prompt fails to process data. The 1st prompt requires 2 returns (why is
that?), but the 2nd doesn't: it prompts, waits for data, and goes on to
the last "cout" with no value in "quantity".

It shouldn't. What platform are you using?

<snip>

Mike Copeland

In the following code, even though the program executes, the 2nd
prompt fails to process data. The 1st prompt requires 2 returns (why is
that?), but the 2nd doesn't: it prompts, waits for data, and goes on to
the last "cout" with no value in "quantity".
[redacted]

What platform and compiler are you using? It looks OK source-wise,
and it works for me, compiling with 0 warnings, g++ 4.5.3, Cygwin.
VS6.0, Windows XP SP3
No errors, just bizarre inconsistent behavior... 8<{{

Ian Collins

In the following code, even though the program executes, the 2nd
prompt fails to process data. The 1st prompt requires 2 returns (why is
that?), but the 2nd doesn't: it prompts, waits for data, and goes on to
the last "cout" with no value in "quantity".
[redacted]

What platform and compiler are you using? It looks OK source-wise,
and it works for me, compiling with 0 warnings, g++ 4.5.3, Cygwin.
VS6.0, Windows XP SP3

Nobody in their right mind uses VS6 these days!

Mike Copeland

In the following code, even though the program executes, the 2nd
prompt fails to process data. The 1st prompt requires 2 returns (why is
that?), but the 2nd doesn't: it prompts, waits for data, and goes on to
the last "cout" with no value in "quantity".
[redacted]

What platform and compiler are you using? It looks OK source-wise,
and it works for me, compiling with 0 warnings, g++ 4.5.3, Cygwin.
VS6.0, Windows XP SP3

Nobody in their right mind uses VS6 these days!
Yes, I get that a lot. 8<{{
If I could switch to one of the free compilers, I would do so.
However, with over 1,000,000 lines of code with dependencies on STL and
other things that don't seem to be in the free versions, I can't. And
obviously, I can't afford to purchase a paid version... <sigh>

Miles Bader

Yes, I get that a lot. 8<{{
If I could switch to one of the free compilers, I would do so.
However, with over 1,000,000 lines of code with dependencies on STL and
other things that don't seem to be in the free versions, I can't.

Wait, there are free C++ compilers without an STL implementation?!

-miles

Miles Bader

Miles Bader said:
Wait, there are free C++ compilers without an STL implementation?!

BTW, I suspect a bigger problem is that you've probably got 1,000,000
lines of code with dependencies on the wacky non-standard behavior of
VS6...

-miles