    3) if not is it worth adding in a Global.asx (if the application runs like a
    standard website) for a performace improvement.

    Thanks

    Namshub, Sep 5, 2007

  2. "Namshub" <> wrote in message
    news:%23Ft$...
    >I understand web services and have coded them but I don't understand the
    >some basic concepts.
    >
    > 1) Does the service run as a website. The question may seem daft until
    > the next question.

    Yes. It runs as a web application.

    > 2) Using the Applications setting (my.setting.etc) is that resident in
    > memory and stays in memory on first read or does it continually read the
    > config file for the settings. (much like setting application varaible on
    > Application start in the Global.asx) - There are 15 app settings used
    > within this application and would prefer them to be all resident in memory
    > rather than keep reading the config file.

    This would be resident in memory until it changes on disk, at which time the
    AppDomain will restart.

    > 3) if not is it worth adding in a Global.asx (if the application runs like
    > a standard website) for a performace improvement.

    No, not in general.

    I usually recommend that performance improvements be left until it is clear
    that they are needed. Otherwise, one might spend time solving the wrong
    problem.
    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    John Saunders [MVP], Sep 5, 2007