Some daft Questions About web Services

Namshub

I understand web services and have coded them but I don't understand the
some basic concepts.

1) Does the service run as a website. The question may seem daft until the
next question.
2) Using the Applications setting (my.setting.etc) is that resident in
memory and stays in memory on first read or does it continually read the
config file for the settings. (much like setting application varaible on
Application start in the Global.asx) - There are 15 app settings used within
this application and would prefer them to be all resident in memory rather
than keep reading the config file.
3) if not is it worth adding in a Global.asx (if the application runs like a
standard website) for a performace improvement.

Thanks

John Saunders [MVP]

Namshub said:
I understand web services and have coded them but I don't understand the
some basic concepts.

1) Does the service run as a website. The question may seem daft until
the next question.

Yes. It runs as a web application.
2) Using the Applications setting (my.setting.etc) is that resident in
memory and stays in memory on first read or does it continually read the
config file for the settings. (much like setting application varaible on
Application start in the Global.asx) - There are 15 app settings used
within this application and would prefer them to be all resident in memory
rather than keep reading the config file.

This would be resident in memory until it changes on disk, at which time the
AppDomain will restart.
3) if not is it worth adding in a Global.asx (if the application runs like
a standard website) for a performace improvement.

No, not in general.

I usually recommend that performance improvements be left until it is clear
that they are needed. Otherwise, one might spend time solving the wrong
problem.