    made this transition would be appreciated.

    Walt
    , Dec 4, 2006

  2. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I manage a group of 23 developers for a large insurance company,
    > responsible for in house applications to support business needs. We
    > are looking at transitioning from RPG and DB2. We want to keep the
    > data in DB2 for at least a while, but we want to start developing the
    > front ends for a windows environment. VB.Net seems a logical fit for
    > us and most of our developers seem anxious to head in this direction.
    > I know this is a Java newsgroup, but we haven't decided on a
    > development platform yet, so intelligent feedback from anyone who has
    > made this transition would be appreciated.

    What kind of information are you seeking? Whether or not Java might be
    suitable for this task? As an alternative to VB.NET? As a supplement to
    VB.NET? Something else?

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Dec 4, 2006

    Just some feedback from anyone who may have made this kind of
    transition. I'm quite sure Java is just as suitable to the task as
    Vb.Net, but any thoughts on the process of moving from RPG to a Java
    would be helpful.

    On Dec 4, 4:59 pm, "Oliver Wong" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >I manage a group of 23 developers for a large insurance company,
    > > responsible for in house applications to support business needs. We
    > > are looking at transitioning from RPG and DB2. We want to keep the
    > > data in DB2 for at least a while, but we want to start developing the
    > > front ends for a windows environment. VB.Net seems a logical fit for
    > > us and most of our developers seem anxious to head in this direction.
    > > I know this is a Java newsgroup, but we haven't decided on a
    > > development platform yet, so intelligent feedback from anyone who has
    > > made this transition would be appreciated. What kind of information are you seeking? Whether or not Java might be

    > suitable for this task? As an alternative to VB.NET? As a supplement to
    > VB.NET? Something else?
    >
    > - Oliver
    , Dec 4, 2006