Some guidance

WalterPScott

I manage a group of 23 developers for a large insurance company,
responsible for in house applications to support business needs. We
are looking at transitioning from RPG and DB2. We want to keep the
data in DB2 for at least a while, but we want to start developing the
front ends for a windows environment. VB.Net seems a logical fit for
us and most of our developers seem anxious to head in this direction.
I know this is a Java newsgroup, but we haven't decided on a
development platform yet, so intelligent feedback from anyone who has
made this transition would be appreciated.

Walt

Oliver Wong

I manage a group of 23 developers for a large insurance company,
responsible for in house applications to support business needs. We
are looking at transitioning from RPG and DB2. We want to keep the
data in DB2 for at least a while, but we want to start developing the
front ends for a windows environment. VB.Net seems a logical fit for
us and most of our developers seem anxious to head in this direction.
I know this is a Java newsgroup, but we haven't decided on a
development platform yet, so intelligent feedback from anyone who has
made this transition would be appreciated.

What kind of information are you seeking? Whether or not Java might be
suitable for this task? As an alternative to VB.NET? As a supplement to
VB.NET? Something else?

- Oliver

WalterPScott

Just some feedback from anyone who may have made this kind of
transition. I'm quite sure Java is just as suitable to the task as
Vb.Net, but any thoughts on the process of moving from RPG to a Java
would be helpful.