Some information for the one who decided to learn C++, and now wantsto learn at least a bit of C?

BGB / cr88192

<--
I typically have 6 shells/editors on screen. I use MinGW/msys, vi,
and makefiles for C development. For library development, on the left
side from top to bottom I edit a library header file, then source
file, and a shell for compiling using make. Then on the right side,
the top shell is for grepping and editing other random source files,
the middle I edit a test or example program, then the bottom shell
builds and runs the test suite or individual sample program. I have a
7th shell that hides behind the others I use to rebuild doxygen
documentation for the source I'm working on.
-->

I tend to use much fewer shells though, typically 1-3 shells.

say, 1 shell mostly for rebuilding, maybe also for relaunching the app.
another shell, often for grep or sed or other misc commands related to the
project, but not part of the rebuild/relaunch cycle.

if more, usally they are for other misc stuff.

typically, 1 or more explorer windows are used for managing files.

well, a lot may be open, mostly as I tend to partition code down into
approx
500 loc to 1 kloc source files (much above 1 kloc, and a source file takes
too long to scroll through and look at stuff), and tend to break libraries
apart into ~ 10-50 kloc chunks (much above about 50 kloc, and a single
library becomes unmanagable, around 25-30 is typical...).

50 editors could then mean having most of a library open at the same time,
or more commonly parts of several different libraries which I might be
working on...

however, Vista and Win7 seem to have a lower limit on the number of
editors
that can be open, which in some cases can hinder activity.

20-40 editors is more typical though.

<--
If I have to edit multiple files, in a single directory typically, I
just open them with a vi *.c or whatever that allows me to keep the
number of windows down. Most of my stuff is concentrated in three or
four libraries, and the project is not nearly as big as yours, so I
can see where having that many editors can be useful if no web-browser
based documentation is available.
-->

yeah, one does end up jumping around to look at declarations, ... in case
some were forgotten.

my projects weren't always so big though, but over the years the size creeps
up...

usually, if I switch between tasks (say, going to working on a different
part of the project), all the editors will usually be closed, and then
allowed to re-propagate.

typically, the main way of accessing them is because they tend to stack on
the taskbar, so often the taskbar is used to select the one I want, ...

(so, it is improvements to Windows itself that make manually using editors
and the command shell more usable...).

or such...

<--
I find my arrangement much easier to manage than Visual Studio for the
kinds of things I'm doing (mostly command-line utilities and
scripts). Probably because the university engineering department was
all Unix based, and didn't have access to Microsoft or VS until much
later. Of course, I'm extremely weak when it comes to develop GUI
based apps, so I'm sure the IDE is the best way to go for those.
-->

yep, my arrangement works as well...

yeah, VS does work well for GUIs.

this is mostly because GUIs in VS are mostly a lot of drag-and-drop stuff,
like drag and drop buttons, and double-click them to see the code for the
event callbacks.

so, this much works well...