Some java-like utilities?

Bura Tino

Hi,

Coming back from java to c++. I wondering if there's a standard set of
utilities for c++ like there is for java. In particular, I'm looking for a
way to read from a URL, to send an EMail, and save a PNG or a JPEG.

Many thanks in advance!

Bura

WW

Agent said:
</>

Nope. None of that in C++ unless you write it yourself.

Actually you don't usually need to. There is either support from you
operating system or you can download and use libraries. So th e"write it
yourself" part means it is not part of the standardized language.

Bura Tino

Agent Mulder said:
</>

Nope. None of that in C++ unless you write it yourself.

OK, if no Sun-like entity wrote it -- someone must have written it! For own
personal use if not for the greater public good!

Agent Mulder

Coming back from java to c++. I wondering if there's a standard set of
utilities for c++ like there is for java. In particular, I'm looking for a
way to read from a URL, to send an EMail, and save a PNG or a JPEG.
</>

Nope. None of that in C++ unless you write it yourself.

-X

Peter van Merkerk

Coming back from java to c++. I wondering if there's a standard set of
for

OK, if no Sun-like entity wrote it -- someone must have written it! For own
personal use if not for the greater public good!

For most common things there C++ libraries available, so usually there is no
need to write one yourself. However many of those libraries are tied to one
particular platform (or only a few platforms) because standard C++ has no
builtin support for platform specific I/O functionality like sockets,
graphics...etc. The best place to ask for the kind of libraries you are
looking for is a newsgroup dedicated to your particular platform, or use
Google to find one.

Ivan Vecerina

Bura Tino said:
Coming back from java to c++. I wondering if there's a standard set of
utilities for c++ like there is for java. In particular, I'm looking for a
way to read from a URL, to send an EMail, and save a PNG or a JPEG.

Some ideas:
- http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/
A bunch of utilities for all kinds of TCP/IP transfers.
- http://www.libpng.org/
The reference implementation for PNG (& more)
- http://www.ijg.org/ - a working free jpeg library
Also:
- http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/engfl.html
Support for >360 image formats (!), free for non-commercial
use (and more upon 'agreement').
- http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html
For advanced multi-platform networked applications...

hth,
Ivan

Agent Mulder

Coming back from java to c++. I wondering if there's a standard set of
utilities for c++ like there is for java. In particular, I'm looking for a
way to read from a URL, to send an EMail, and save a PNG or a JPEG.
</>

Qt from TrollTech has support for PNG and JPEG, if I remember well.

-X