    3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
    do I do that?
    , Jun 2, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am taking my first unsure steps creating a website, using
    > Dreamweaver 6.1. Perhaps somebody here can help me with the following
    > questions:

    You would do better getting to know the actual markup language. That
    way, if Dreamweaver weaves you a nightmare, you'll be able to fix it.

    > 1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer? Layers seem
    > to be a great way doing layout, since you can put them anywhere on a
    > page. However, sometimes I'd like to have a border around a layer. Can
    > it be done? How?

    What layers? There are no layers in HTML (except for a proprietary
    element from Netscape years ago that is not used).

    > 2) Is there a good tutorial for Dreamweaver somebody could
    > recommmend?

    I am sure there are, but you would do much better for yourself, and the
    Internet, if you would learn the language itself. It's not very
    difficult.

    > 3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
    > do I do that?

    You could try javascript and be insecure, or you can do it server side.
    It depends on what you have available.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 2, 2007

  3. Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 07:55:22 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >I am taking my first unsure steps creating a website, using
    >Dreamweaver 6.1. Perhaps somebody here can help me with the following
    >questions:
    >
    >1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer?

    There is no such thing as a "layer" in either html or CSS. This is an
    "invention" of Dreamweaver that should be avoided like the plague.What
    Dreamweaver actually does in this mode is position your page elements
    with the CSS absolute positioning rules, a well known way to produce a
    brittle page that does not work correctly under different viewpoint
    sizes and font enlargements, all of which you have no control over.

    Can the Dreamweaver "layers" and learn to write valid and semantic html,
    and then style it with CSS.

    "WYSIWYG" editors on the web are a snare and a delusion because, unlike
    paper, there is no "WYG" available. "What you get" will vary from
    browser to browser and system to system and there is nothing whatsoever
    you can do about that, except design with that fact in mind. The web is
    not paper!
    Ed Seedhouse, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Neredbojias Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:55:22 GMT scribed:

    > 1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer? Layers seem
    > to be a great way doing layout, since you can put them anywhere on a
    > page. However, sometimes I'd like to have a border around a layer. Can
    > it be done? How?

    Yes, but...
    In general, "layers" are outside the document flow and thus are not a good
    way to do layout. Bordering can be done with css, for instance in the head
    section:

    div {
    border:2px solid yellow;
    }

    > 2) Is there a good tutorial for Dreamweaver somebody could
    > recommmend?

    Google for "Dreamweaver tutorial".

    > 3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
    > do I do that?

    Again, research it via tech info sites. It's quite possible though not
    simple.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 2, 2007
  5. As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

    Try <div style="border: 2px red solid;>[Put text and pictures in this
    container]</div> To pisition div's on a page, learn all about tables from
    any good html help site, such as http://htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/tables/ .
    Use empty table cells to place other cells roughly where you want them. You
    can lear this in a couple of days.

    Ace in CT

    Timothy Ace Holleran, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

    About the only useful bit in your message, to reiterate what others have
    already said. Now the top-posting and lack of trimming....

    > Try <div style="border: 2px red solid;>[Put text and pictures in this
    > container]</div>

    Inline style may be useful for a short demo example in Usenet, but in
    application on your page better to add styling in a stylesheet rather
    than pepper your markup with style attributes

    ..framed { border: 2px solid red; }

    > To pisition div's on a page, learn all about tables from
    > any good html help site, such as http://htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/tables/ .
    > Use empty table cells to place other cells roughly where you want them. You
    > can lear this in a couple of days.

    Ah, yes reference a tutorial that is circa 1995 to a newbie!

    To OP this not a good way to start out. In most cases one does *not*
    need each element to be precisely position on the page because you do
    not know what the page size is! Better to make you page flexible and
    adjust the layout to fit whatever your visitor's window is at the time.
    Only use positioning when it is critical to the design and even then
    many times there are ways to still make the design flexible.

    Try the tutorials at www.htmldog.com. They are a bit more contemporary.

    > Ace in CT

    Signatures prefaced with two hyphens a space followed by a carriage
    return are preferred as decent newsreaders will remove the signature in
    replies...

    > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:55:22 GMT scribed:

    <snipping extra stuff...>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 3, 2007
  7. "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    >> As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

    > About the only useful bit in your message, to reiterate what others have
    > already said. Now the top-posting and lack of trimming....
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Hey Jon, if I had a home page that looked like Little Works, I wouldn't be
    so quick to criticize. Ouch!

    tah
    Timothy Ace Holleran, Jun 4, 2007
  8. Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >> Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    >>> As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

    >> About the only useful bit in your message, to reiterate what others have
    >> already said. Now the top-posting and lack of trimming....
    >> Take care,
    >>
    >> Jonathan
    >> -------------------
    >> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    >> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > Hey Jon, if I had a home page that looked like Little Works, I wouldn't be
    > so quick to criticize. Ouch!

    And how does this relate to not recommending circa 1995 markup methods
    to a newbie?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 4, 2007
  9. dorayme Guest

    In article <DzK8i.50$>,
    "Timothy Ace Holleran" <> wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > > Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > >> As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

    > > About the only useful bit in your message, to reiterate what others have
    > > already said. Now the top-posting and lack of trimming....
    > > Take care,
    > >
    > > Jonathan
    > > -------------------
    > > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > Hey Jon, if I had a home page that looked like Little Works, I wouldn't be
    > so quick to criticize. Ouch!
    >
    > tah

    Well, you have not got a page like that so don't come the raw
    prawn with a mensch like Jonathan.

    "coming the raw prawn" is an Australian expression:

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=raw prawn

    while

    mensch |men ch | |m?n?| |m?n?| is

    noun ( pl. menschen |?men ch ?n|or mensches) informal
    a person of integrity and honor.
    ORIGIN 1930s: Yiddish mensh, from German Mensch, literally
    Œperson.¹

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 4, 2007
  10. On Jun 2, 12:58 pm, Ed Seedhouse <> wrote:

    > "WYSIWYG" editors on the web are a snare and a delusion because, unlike
    > paper, there is no "WYG" available. "What you get" will vary from
    > browser to browser and system to system and there is nothing whatsoever
    > you can do about that, except design with that fact in mind. The web is
    > not paper!

    The code produced by Dreamweaver will produce web pages that work
    perfectly well in virtually everyone's browser. That said, Learn HTML
    and CSS. They are pretty simple. Combine a tool like dreamweaver
    with a good foundation of HTML and CSS knowledge and you will have a
    very powerful combination.
    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2007
  11. JD Guest

    Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >> Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    >>> As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

    >> About the only useful bit in your message, to reiterate what others have
    >> already said. Now the top-posting and lack of trimming....
    >> Take care,
    >>
    >> Jonathan
    >> -------------------
    >> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    >> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > Hey Jon, if I had a home page that looked like Little Works, I wouldn't be
    > so quick to criticize. Ouch!

    Wow. That's so mature, "Ace".
    JD, Jun 4, 2007
  12. JD Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Jun 2, 12:58 pm, Ed Seedhouse <> wrote:
    >
    >> "WYSIWYG" editors on the web are a snare and a delusion because, unlike
    >> paper, there is no "WYG" available. "What you get" will vary from
    >> browser to browser and system to system and there is nothing whatsoever
    >> you can do about that, except design with that fact in mind. The web is
    >> not paper!

    > The code produced by Dreamweaver will produce web pages that work
    > perfectly well in virtually everyone's browser. That said, Learn HTML
    > and CSS. They are pretty simple. Combine a tool like dreamweaver
    > with a good foundation of HTML and CSS knowledge and you will have a
    > very powerful combination.

    DW makes a fantastic HTML editor in code view, that's for sure. It has
    the best code hints I've seen anywhere.
    JD, Jun 4, 2007
  13. Look, I'm all done with you guys. Jonathan was the first to be rude.

    Please, don't worry about perfectly good newbie tips from 1995 when you have
    a Fisher-Price website! And you other nancy-boys rise to defend him! IU can
    imagine the gawdawful crap you're putting on the web.

    Grubas, go elsewhere for advice. These people are hacks!

    Timothy Ace Holleran, Jun 4, 2007
  14. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 4 Jun, 13:53, JD <> wrote:

    > DW makes a fantastic HTML editor in code view, that's for sure. It has
    > the best code hints I've seen anywhere.

    Like "Don't use the title attribute as it's incompatible with NS4" ?
    Andy Dingley, Jun 4, 2007
  15. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 4 Jun, 17:39, "Timothy Ace Holleran" <>
    wrote:
    > Look, I'm all done with you guys.

    Don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out, you might
    catch your frock in it.

    > Jonathan was the first to be rude.

    He just posts faster than the rest of us.

    > Please, don't worry about perfectly good newbie tips from 1995

    No, you recommended that a fresh, unblemished newbie _begin_ by
    learning techniques that became obsolete 10 years ago. That's _not_ a
    good recommendation.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 4, 2007
  16. JD Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On 4 Jun, 13:53, JD <> wrote:
    >
    >> DW makes a fantastic HTML editor in code view, that's for sure. It has
    >> the best code hints I've seen anywhere.

    > Like "Don't use the title attribute as it's incompatible with NS4" ?

    Code hints in DW refer to the little menus that pop up when you're
    typing in code view, listing the available
    elements/attributes/properties/values (depending on the context).

    It's an extremely helpful feature.
    JD, Jun 4, 2007
  17. "Timothy Ace Holleran" <> writes:

    Upside-down. Please don't do that.

    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    >>> "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hey Jon, if I had a home page that looked like Little Works, I wouldn't
    >>> be so quick to criticize. Ouch!

    >> Wow. That's so mature, "Ace".

    > Look, I'm all done with you guys. Jonathan was the first to be rude.

    You gave bad advice. It would have been rude for Jonathan to let it stand
    without comment.

    > Please, don't worry about perfectly good newbie tips from 1995 when you have
    > a Fisher-Price website!

    To begin with, your "tips" weren't prefectly good - they were woefully out-
    dated. And secondly, Jonathan's comments were about implementing the HTML
    code, not about aesthetics or design. Changing the subject with the usenet
    equivalent of "you're ugly" is childish. Grow up.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 4, 2007
  18. Bergamot Guest

    JD wrote:

    > Code hints in DW refer to the little menus that pop up when you're
    > typing in code view, listing the available
    > elements/attributes/properties/values (depending on the context).
    >
    > It's an extremely helpful feature.

    DW is not the only editor that has this feature. BTW, I find it an
    extremely annoying and distracting feature and disable it the moment I
    come across it. TEHO

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jun 4, 2007
  19. Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:16:48 +0100, JD <> wrote:

    >> Like "Don't use the title attribute as it's incompatible with NS4" ?

    >Code hints in DW refer to the little menus that pop up when you're
    >typing in code view, listing the available
    >elements/attributes/properties/values (depending on the context).

    Or in the case of the title attribute, warning you _not_ to use it.
    That's hardly a helpful practice!

    Last version of DW I used did this a year or so back. I don't know if
    it still does it.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 4, 2007
  20. It's hard for me to believe how devoted you are to coding, all of you, when
    your sites look so ugly.

    You are so worried about insipid coding that you have lost sight of cogent
    design.

    The jonathan little and west virginia sites are eyeslaughter. If I gave my
    clients dog-doo like that, I would starve.

    You can rant about CSS and your silly standards, thinking that this is all
    hard-and-fast science. It's also about aesthetics, a topic which is foreign
    to you. It doesn't matter a whit how much HTML, XML, JS, Flash or Ajax you
    know if the end result looks like the amateurish pabulum you put on the web.

    I know all these standards. I make my living developing web sites. Good,
    basic HTML tutelege is available readily on HTMLGoodies, no matter how old
    it is. I'm sure there are other, newer sites with better tips. Again, I say,
    how can you dispense advice when you can't build an attractive one of your
    own?

    Stop trying to be cutting-edge and worry about the general look and feel of
    your sites. Then counsel others.

    You are more concerned about how to build a clock than if it actually works.

    Bring it on, skirts.
    Timothy Ace Holleran, Jun 6, 2007