Some newbie questions (Dreamweaver)

dorayme

"Timothy Ace Holleran said:
It's hard for me to believe how devoted you are to coding, all of you, when
your sites look so ugly.

You can rant about CSS and your silly standards, thinking that this is all
hard-and-fast science. It's also about aesthetics

Stop trying to be cutting-edge and worry about the general look and feel of
your sites. Then counsel others.

You are more concerned about how to build a clock than if it actually works.

Bring it on, skirts.

Them's the fightin' words I like, Ace.

May I make a few points? First, just to get it out of the way, I
thought you were "done with us guys"?

I think you misunderstand some things about some nominally
technical newsgroups like this. Think of its value as being
sometimes pure technical advice, sometimes advice about ideals
within which to ply the trade without actually touching on
matters aesthetic.

If this sort of talk of mine is kinda not to your taste, well,
how about I put it another way. It would help for you to go see
some boxing movies where the trainers are too old to be up for a
real fight (but young cheeks have to be careful, see Morgan
Freeman in action in Million Dollar Baby where he floored one of
the gym's star young hopefuls). These trainers can direct and
form other young talent. The world of coaching is not all about
actual star quality, some are or were stars, some are not but
have a gift in communicating and motivating and know enough about
what it takes.

People are rather rude here quite often. Fine, be rude back, it
is a bloody ugly business sometimes. But don't lose sight of what
I am telling you here.

Chaddy2222

Timothy said:
It's hard for me to believe how devoted you are to coding, all of you, when
your sites look so ugly.

You are so worried about insipid coding that you have lost sight of cogent
design.

The jonathan little and west virginia sites are eyeslaughter. If I gave my
clients dog-doo like that, I would starve.
Graphic design is only one part of web authoring and quite a small
part at that.
You can rant about CSS and your silly standards, thinking that this is all
hard-and-fast science. It's also about aesthetics,
No-one is saying otherwise!.
a topic which is foreign
to you.
How the hell would you know that? You can't just judge a sites
functionality by the way it looks, in fact if you can use the site
without a screen or mouse and access all the functionality, then it's
a well designed site and if it looks good graphicly then your bloody
good!.
It doesn't matter a whit how much HTML, XML, JS, Flash or Ajax you
know if the end result looks like the amateurish pabulum you put on the web.
The above quote proves you have NFI idea about what your doing! As I
said graphic design is only one part of web design. Look up the
seperation of content and presontation and you might get more of an
idea of what many of us know already.
I know all these standards. I make my living developing web sites. Good,
basic HTML tutelege is available readily on HTMLGoodies, no matter how old
it is.
Might I remind you at this point that the site you mention as being
"good" actually has over 100 HTML validation errors and it's a
tutorial site, perthetic really.

I'm sure there are other, newer sites with better tips. >Again, I say,
how can you dispense advice when you can't build an >attractive one of your
own?

Read what I wrote above regarding graphic design on the web, then read
it again!!
Stop trying to be cutting-edge and worry about the general >look and feel of
your sites. Then counsel others.
Also read the part I wrote regardign you being a cluless git!
You are more concerned about how to build a clock than if it actually works.
I need to point the fact yet again that the entire point of the W3C
specs on HTML and CSS are actually a messure of makeing sure that
sites do actually work! I know it's a shock but otherwise why the hell
do you think browser makers would bother too support them. Opera have
members of the W3C on the committee.

Bergamot

Timothy said:
It's hard for me to believe how devoted you are to coding, all of you, when
your sites look so ugly.

Stop trying to be cutting-edge and worry about the general look and feel of
your sites. Then counsel others.

You can set an example for everyone else by pointing to a few URLs of
your own. Then we'd know you aren't just trolling.

Dan

You are more concerned about how to build a clock than if it actually works.

While you would probably build a really nice-looking clock that shows
the wrong time.